News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Athearn DD40 Hand Rails

Started by chuff_n_puff, May 17, 2008, 11:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuff_n_puff

I am working on an Athearn DD40 and am in need of a hand rail set. Is anybody out there that can lead me to a set, or at least some that could be retro fitted?

Yampa Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

chuff_n_puff

Yampa Bob
Appreciate the info. I checked the site out and there is no DD40 rails listed. Someone told me about a year ago that there was another model that its rails would work on an Athearn DD40. I can't remember which one. Do you know which one he was talking about? I got a Spectrum DD40AX with the handrails and I compared it and seen those type wouldn't fit. Of coarse the Spectrum AX is about an inch and a half longer than the straight DD40.

Omaha

I understand that the DD40AX is two GP40s on one frame. You may be able to modify some GP40 handrails. I noticed on Walthers that they have handrails from Smokey Vally RR Products for a GP40. They are specifically for a Bachman GP40. The part # is 676-12.

chuff_n_puff

Omaha
I have been checking out GP40 handrails and they would appear to work. The only problem is Smokey Valley wants as much for their handrails as I can get the entire engines for! Maybe I can find some junk GP40s with good handrails.

Yampa Bob

Chuff
Athearn has many styles of stanchions only, you may have to bash what you need. If you can get the proper stanchions, the actual rails can easily be made with .015 or .020 phosphor bronze wire.

One site has special brass shapes made by K&S that you won't find in hobby stores,even brass tubing down to 1/32".

http://www.specialshapes.com
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

chuff_n_puff

What would be the difference between GP40 and GP40-2, as far as for the handrails?

Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific