Main Menu

Cancer Warning lable

Started by TERRYINTEXAS, May 30, 2008, 05:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TERRYINTEXAS

I got my C&O mountain loco in the mail today and it had
a warning lable on it that said this product contains cancer causing
materials according to the state of California

So just what is it they are talking about ?

Paul M.

Some wires in it have lead.... don't worry, you'll die anyway.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Paul M.

Oh yeah, Terry,
you're safe from the nasty lead unless you're in California. :)

-Paul
[

Hunt

Terry,
You should be okay unless you eat or inhale the entire locomotive.   ;)

Why don’t you research the California law requiring the Cancer warning label? Then you will be able to put the warning into the correct perspective.

Also remember to wash your hands with soap and warm water before you eat food.

Santa Fe buff

I'm pretty sure it means that the material or some of them, used in the locomotive can cause cancer if exposed to your bodies insides. Keep away from eyes or mouths. Reulations only in California tell to put the lable on there, I would be very cautious of that locomotive.
I could be a cold-hearted killer!  ;)
ALL RAILS SHALL MELT, ALL STEAM SHALL BURN, AND ALL STEAM LOCOMOTIVES WILL KILL!
Just kidding, I would send it back for a refund and buy it from a different manufacter just to be safe.
BY THE WAY!! DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE ORINANAL DEWITT CLINTON IS STILL AROUND?
- Joshua Bauer

glennk28

That is our infamous "Proposition 65 Warning Label".  California is ruled by special interests who manage to  get their ideas onto the ballot when the legislature, in a fit of sanity, refuses to pass them  Prop 65 required a warning label  on any product which their committees determine might cause cancer or birth defects, or possibly otherproblems.  I recently found it on some Micro Engineering flex track.  The warning also has to be posted prominently at the entrance to any business which has, uses, or sells such products.  They don't have to list what they are--so using that HO flex track as an example, we don't get to know whether it is the rails or the ties that are a danger to us.  As a health inspector that was one more thing I had to make sure was posted in restaruants, markets, bars, swimming pools, and many other establishments.

Does this remove any doubt that Californians are crazy?

gj

Paul M.

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on May 30, 2008, 08:27:33 PM
I'm pretty sure it means that the material or some of them, used in the locomotive can cause cancer if exposed to your bodies insides. Keep away from eyes or mouths. Reulations only in California tell to put the lable on there, I would be very cautious of that locomotive.
I could be a cold-hearted killer!  ;)
ALL RAILS SHALL MELT, ALL STEAM SHALL BURN, AND ALL STEAM LOCOMOTIVES WILL KILL!
Just kidding, I would send it back for a refund and buy it from a different manufacter just to be safe.
BY THE WAY!! DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE ORINANAL DEWITT CLINTON IS STILL AROUND?

Pretty much everything on the market today has lead in it....

If it doesn't have the label, it's probably older stock, before they were required to have them...

-Paul
[

Woody Elmore

Can't be any more silly than the warning on hammers directing the user to make sure the business end of the hammer doesn't face your head!

I guess if you eat the track your life might be in peril.

I thought ARNOLD was going to reform the Cal - ee- fornia government when he got Grey Davis kicked out.

Guilford Guy

I thought it was because it was because of the plastics they used... Oh well, your fine as long as you don't plan to smoke your locomotive like a cigar!
Alex

Santa Fe buff

Hey gg,
Proto Smoke, or candy cane smoke?  :D
- Joshua Bauer

Daylight4449

I thought it was the smoke fluid?

r.cprmier

I recall one part of an old "Design Preservation" instruction sheet as reading:  "Our insurance company tells up we have to tell you not to eat this product".  Interestingly, with all of the desease, hunger and general misery that surrounds us every day, the clowns in the insurance industry have time and energy to think up useless crap like this!!  Rome really is burning, isn't it?

The Old Reprobate

PS:  Johann;  Is this political or anything?
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

RAM

In the railroad world we like SOO, SOO, SOO.  In the real world it is sue, sue, sue.

Yampa Bob

Glenn
Remember I mentioned that when I spent some time in your neck of the woods some years ago, we were never served water in restaurants, only wine.  I saw one guy slurp down two full bottles as if it was tea.  Is Prop 65 on the water too?

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

glennk28

No--in most places the water is ok--it is just in rather short supply in the North as most of it is being shipped south to places where they have no restrictions on its use. 

The oil companies run a quarter-page ad in most of the newspapers once a week to cover their end of it.