News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0 pilot wheel problem...

Started by Ten Wheeler, May 31, 2008, 02:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wheeler

The front 4 (pilot) wheels never turn when the loco moves... and the drivers hesitate for a second before starting to move. Sometimes I have to give it a light push, and she takes off.  Movement is more jerky with this locomotive than I have seen with any of my other 4 B'mann lokeys???

Suggestions???

Bob

SteamGene

Do you have a reamer to ream out the truck?  Have you checked the gauge of the pony wheels?  Is your track clean?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Ten Wheeler

Gene... The track is clean & wheels gauged!  I do not have a reamer. What are my options, please ?

Thanks for the reply.

Yampa Bob

Eagle37 had a similar problem with the drivers slipping on the track, refer to this thread.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,5635.0.html

If there is a spring on the pony truck, try removing the spring, or bending up a little.  Too much down pressure on the pony wheels might be lifting the front drivers. If in doubt, temporarily remove the pony truck and test the loco.

To see if the drawbar is the culprit, unhook the drawbar and see if the loco will move smoothly.  Don't have any cars hooked up, as the tender will be pulled by the wires.
If it runs ok, you have a drawbar problem.

If you get it running ok, break it in for about 10 minutes, then check the bottom for any brass shavings.  Keep us posted.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.