News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The V&O railroad reality...

Started by r.cprmier, May 31, 2008, 07:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.cprmier

As I read this latest issue of MR, I found the article on the V&O, Allen McClennan's layout, and had to chuckle to myself becausae I was one of those people who weren't quite sure if it was a real railroad or a layout, and it took a glance at the coupler "hose" to ascertain that it was indeed a layout-one of the finest layouts I have ever seen.

Kudos and a real "PIP PIP" to Al and his wonderful work.  See you at the prototype meet in Canton, Ct today.

THe Old Reprobate
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

rogertra

The V&O set the standard for operations oriented model railroads.

Sadly, even the second V&O is now more and is almost completely dismantled.  The house has been sold and it seems that there will be no more V&Os due to ill health.  :(

SteamGene

That is a shame.  I've always found it interesting that two men, building two railroads which interchanged with each other went in opposite directions temporally. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

I've always found it interesting that two men, building two railroads which interchanged with each other went in opposite directions temporally.

Gene;
What do you mean?

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

The V&O went from steam to end of transition to at least second generation.  The AM went from - I think - second generation to transition with plenty of steam. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Paul M.

Gene-
I know Tony Koester did that ( 2nd generation to early transition ) in planning his Nickel Plate layout.... I wasn't aware he did that with the Allegheny Midland.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

SteamGene

Paul, he sure did.  And to make things interesting he used NKP lettering and caboose markings yet many of the locomotives and structures were C&O. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat