News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What train set is it?

Started by robman, June 01, 2008, 01:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robman

HI from Kiwiland. Can someone please shed some light on a Bachmann trainset that I have just seen. I have just returned from a hobby show, lots of trains, and one of the retailers there had a Bachmann  diesel set that had two DCC locos and the digital controller included with it in the box. Along with them came four pieces of rolling stock and quite a bit of EZ track. I can't find this set listed anywhere, and as I want to change to DCC it seems like the best way to go, but before buying I want to check the US price first. Cheers Rob.  
Modeling over there over here

Yampa Bob

Bachmann has a set called "Digital Commander", comes with GP40 and FTA locomotives, DCC equipped, EZCommand controller, three cars and 56X38 oval track. Part #00501.  Retail is $275, I'll check out some street prices.  Shipping costs and VAT might be high, are you in NZ or AU?  What price is your dealer quoting?

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1532

Here are sources for reference, others may offer it for less, but these two are great to deal with.  The first has been in business for 40 years, the second for 70 years.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJWL6&P=SM

http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_4&products_id=9628

If you like, I would be glad to call them Monday for shipping charges. 

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

hgcHO

I started with this set.   A great way to begin to understand DCC.

Bob has give you an excellent answer. 

Shop around - even seen a street price of $159. BUT your local hobby shop might be the best because of information source right at had.

'have fun'

HGC

robman

Hey Bob. Thanks for your info but what are you doing up at this time of the night? The shop price from this particular store over here is $NZ 269.00 or about $US340.00 so it looks like a pretty good deal and I think I'll grab it.
  I do live in NZ not Aussie and we don't have VAT as they do in the UK but we have something very similar called GST, known as Grab Snatch and Take.
  Once again, thanks for your help.  Cheers from this side of the Pacific.  Rob.
Modeling over there over here

Yampa Bob

Is it night?  I'm retired so I rarely look at my watch.

I have a good friend in NZ, goes by Kiwi Keith, every met him? Is the Kiwi the national bird?  Our national "bird" is....never mind.  :D  It doesn't fly either.

They tried a tariff here called the "USE" tax.  Like, if I buy something from out of town, I'm supposed to report it and pay sales tax on it. That didn't work. Then they tried to pass a law whereby the out of town dealer would have to collect the tax and pay it back to the local city. That went over like a lead balloon.

Anyway, $269 sounds pretty good considering no shipping charge.  As my wife always says: "It's only money".   

grumpy

Bob
I wish my wife would say( it is only money ) . What she usually says is ( it's too expensive ) . Since I am not allowed to drive she is in (the drivers seat )
Don :(

Yampa Bob

In all our years of marriage, we never argued over money, or anything else for that matter.  And like the song goes, you never see a luggage rack on a hearse. I don't plan to take it with me, just spend it before I go.