Can you use an HO transformer and powerpack on Nscale?

Started by paulj903, June 01, 2008, 05:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulj903

like the title says, can you use an HO transformers and powerpack on Nscale track?

Conrail Quality

Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

fieromike

Yes, with a caveat.  HO transformers put out higher voltage at high throttle settings.  As long as you run your train at a reasonable speed, not like a slot car, you should have no problem.  I've been messing with n scale for 35+ years without a voltage related problem.

Edit: dumb typo.

LGBfan17

If you havent already noticed, if you buy a Bachmann HO set, and then buy the same Bachmann set in N, both will come identical power packs.  The power pack is item number 46605A.  Figured it out because I have Bachmann McKinley Explorer in both scales (#24010 in N, #00624 in HO).

taz-of-boyds

I have assorted Bachmann controllers that have come with the sets I have got N and G, and they are all loosy-goosy on the high voltage control as far as N scale is concerned.  I use a volt meter to monitor the voltage.  The general warning seems to be avoid anything over 12 volts to the motor.  Anyway anything near these votages my trains are going way faster than the real trains anyhow.
Charles