Atlas Diesel Engine Shell Removal

Started by BradKT, June 08, 2008, 11:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradKT

Does anyone know how to remove the shell from an Atlas SD-24 diesel engine?  I want to install a digitrax dcc decoder.  Do you need to remove screws like you have to do with a bachmann diesel shell?  Is it just supposed to be popped out?

If anyone has had any experience with this, please let me know.

Santa Fe buff

Look on the side, do you see places where the under carriage pops out, that means you have to pop out the engine shell. If you see screws on the bottom or near the edge then you must unsrew it.
:D Have fun.
- Joshua Bauer

BradKT

I did find out that on the Atlas SD-24, removal of the engine shell is a litle bit different from what Santa Fe buff said.  The answer is below:

You have to remove the couplers first by unscrewing the screws that hold the front and rear coupler boxes in place.  Then slide out the coupler boxes.  Only then can the shell be popped out.  You cannot take the shell off of an Atlas SD-24 diesel engine unless the coupler boxes are removed first!   After finding this out, I was able to successfully do so and install the appropriate Digitrax decoder to convert the engine from DC to DCC.  The coupler boxes were easy to reinstall.  I hope that this post can be helpful to someone else.