News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler trouble HELP !!!

Started by sloan, June 03, 2008, 10:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sloan

I'm having some trouble getting some new couplers to line up (height wise)
replacing all couplers with Kadee #5s .Was looking at Kadee #44 (short underset) to adjust the height a little .Are these compatible  or do I need to get something else ?

WoundedBear

All Kadees are compatable with other Kadees. By using a combination of underset/overset shanks and the red and gray shims, you should be able to adjust all you cars so that the couplers line up. Use the different shanks to make major adjustments.....and use the shims under the truck bolsters to make fine adjustments. You have the right idea.

Get yourself a Kadee coupler tool as well. It helps you set height and the trip pin. It also doubles as a track guage.

Sid

Woody Elmore

Micromark also has shims that can be used with Kadee or other coupler pockets. The Kadee gauge is a must along with their red and grey fiber washers to use with the truck mounting screws.

And thanks for not starting your latest posting with "dude."

SteamGene

Coupler height gauge is essential. 
And yes - "dude"'s absence is good. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Woody Elmore

What ever happened to the old "glue the box in place to keep it from moving" trick? Or putting a machine screw through the coupler box up into the floor of the car?

No offense but I think filing the floor to raise a coupler box is a bit too much work. Especially for people like me who are practitioners of the art of "Dyanamic Indolence" - meaning I actively avoid anything that may be construed as work, requires physical activity or any kind or extreme thinking. That's why I will avoid the brain test posted elsewhere by Yampa Bob. Writing these idiotic little blurbs is about all the physical activity I can bear!!