News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problems with heavy mountain

Started by termite, June 03, 2008, 03:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

termite

I recieved my heavy mountain about a month ago. It ran great, and was very smooth. I parked it on an unpowered siding for about a week, while breaking in an other loco on DC. This siding has NO power connections at all and is separated from the rest of the layout by 1/8 inch gap. Tried running it tonight and it won't run on DCC at all, but does run on DC. What gives?

the Bach-man

Dear Termite,
What decoder are you using?
the Bach-man

termite

Bach-man it's the one installed by the factory

Hunt

Start over. Reset the decoder’s CVs to their factory set value.

To reset the CVs on a Bachmann decoder, write a value of 8 to CV8 using a unit capable of programming the decoder's CVs.

termite

Hunt, I already ried that. my digitrax system shows an open circuit, and gets no response from the decoder when trying to read CVs

r0bert

lay a 1000 ohm resistor across the rails of your programming track
and try again, the loco is not drawing enough current for the programmer to detect.
the additional load of the resistor allow your programmer to work.

Hunt

Quote from: termite on June 06, 2008, 12:25:33 PM
Hunt, I already ried that. my digitrax system shows an open circuit, and gets no response from the decoder when trying to read CVs
If you are using a Digitrax Zephyr --- try what rObert suggested.

Your issue has been covered many times by me and repeated by others on this board.

Workaround required to program a non-sound Bachmann decoder using a Digitrax Zephyr.

Workaround --- Place a 1000 Ohm resistor across the programming track. Remove the resistor after you finish programming the Bachmann decoder.

termite

Yep, tried that too, still got no response. Talked to a service tech today, on his recomendation, boxed it up and sent it back so they can clean out the gremlins ;D

Hunt

termite,
Are you now able to program and run any another decoder equipped locomotives using your Digitrax Zephyr? If yes, what brand, locomotive model and decoder?

How long have you been using this Digitrax Zephyr command station?