DCC with sound for Bachmann On30 2 Truck Shay

Started by jsprister, March 01, 2007, 08:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsprister

I just jumped from HO to On30 with the purchase of two Bachmann On30 Shays. I chose the On30 scale for ease of DCC and sound installation; however, the new Shay did not have instructions for DCC installation even though it is suppose to be DCC ready. The marketing information on the Soundtraxx DSD-B2TSLC was sketchy at best, and the Bachmann website provided very little additional help.

I would like help in these areas:

1. Where can I find clear cut, easy to understand DCC installation instruction for the Bachmann On30 2 Truck Shay?

2. Where can I find a explanation of how DCC and sound are installed, i.e., do sound sytems include DCC or do they ride on top of DCC? This is not clear when reading the Soundtraxx marketing information.

3. Could any of you provide a recommendation as to which DCC and sound manufacture might provide the best fit for the On30 Shay?

This is all new to me and I am on a fact finding mission before I take the next step and purchase a DCC/Sound system.

the Bach-man

Dear JS,
Soundtraxx has a sound decoder with speaker that works well and is fairly easy to install. You will remove the shorting plug and replace it with the PC board, which is shaped to fit the tender. The two boards are soldered together, and the speaker is wired to the board. The speaker installs under the two PC boards.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

jsprister

Thanks for your reply. I also did some further checking and found via a Web search, the "Soundtraxx DCC Product Data Sheet" for the DSD-B2TSLC decoder specifically designed for the Bachmann Spectrum On30 2-Truck Shay. The data sheet has a step by step decoder installation process and excellent pictures to support it. It appears to be a very simple, straight forward process.

I still have too confirm that SoundTraxx still produces the DSD-B2TSLC decoder. I'm receiving conflicting information on its availability. There have been referrences of its discontinuation, and even if I can locate a couple, I would rather avoid using a product that has been discontinued. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Tim

JS

The sound decoder you inquired about has been discontinued
by "Soundtraxx".

Tony's trains and Litchfield Station and probably many other
sources still have them.  "SoundTraxx" just made their last shipment
to the stores so they should be available for a while.

Tim Anders
Soudeton, Pa

jsprister

rodburner

Hi.When you get it all set up  please let me ( rodburner@yahoo.com ) know what you think of this dcc stuff.. I have a old soundtraxx system that has a radio controller.......a lot of guys I know say they would be happy with  a sound system  installed  that comes with its own controller for dc and then you could add the dcc on later. Why don,t all the dcc ads just tell you right up frount about all the extra stuff you still have to buy?...then I see upgrades and add ons for things that  just came out!.But before I get into dcc very deep I,m going to see how much a divorce cost........rod

bwreno

Hi,
Today, I contacted Southwest.  They are already out of DSD-B2TSLC sound.  They suggested I call Soundtraxx and see when they are going replace that board.  Adell (sp?) said there are no plans to replace the DSD-B2TSLC.

Is there another manufacturer of a good Shay and Climax sound board??

Thanx,  bob

Tim

toysnstuff

Caboose Hobbies has the 820061 DSD-B2TSLC for the Bachmann On30 Shay in stock also. jim
No Trees, Flora or Fauna were hurt in the production of this message however, Quite a few Electrons were disturbed or otherwise agitated. ;-)

James Thomas

Soundtraxx did an excellent job of providing the Shay, Climax and 2-8-0 with sound already installed.  It's a shame they discontinued them; hopefully Bachmann will re-release these item with sound on board?

betageek

I had the good fortune of buying the last Tsunami Shay from a distributer. The decoder sound and performance is definately superior to the earlier decoder soundtraxx offered for the shay/climax.
One problem I have however is that the coal load seems to be glued in. I haven't taken any tools to it yet, but its definately in there like its glued.
The box appeared to be unopened and the distributer said that it hadn't been opened.  And yes, this is a problem to me since I don't have any other coal burners.
Has anybody have any knowledge of these Tsunami Shays?
I'd sure hate to destroy that mighty fine decoder trying to remove the coal.