News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reversing Track Discussion

Started by jsmvmd, August 01, 2008, 05:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

I cannot find the discussion how to make your own reversing track. Can anyone help me out, or repost the procedure?  Thanks a million.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Yampa Bob

Hi Jack
I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, but I found this one.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,637.0.html

Just kidding, but enter "auto reverse" in the search, there are other articles.

Have fun  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

check me on this but auto reversing is for DCC only

grumpy

Auto reversing is not only for DCC. I ran a Trolley on a DC line using an  auto reversing to make it shuttle to the other end.
Don

pdlethbridge

oops, forgot about that, but for reverse loops and wyes its dcc only

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

There was a discussion within the last 3 weeks where someone on this board mentioned how he created a reversing track segment at the ends of a point to point trolley operation without using Bachmann's reversing track.  I want to do something for Christmas with the On30 trolley but have my electronics smart son wire the track for me.  I already have all the track I need, will purchase the trolley, and want to get started.  My search of this site has been unsuccessful, as has been a search of the web. Perhaps I should try on of the other forums, like LS, etc.

If anyone has a bright idea, please chip in. 

Best Wishes,

Jack

Yampa Bob

I tried the search again using "auto reverse track", there are many threads, but I'm not sure which one is what you need.   
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Jack, take a look at the link below:

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/TechNotes/reverser/index.html

I built the original for a friend who used it to run a train back and forth under his tree a couple of Christmases ago.  Last year, I used this basic circuit with some timers added for a display at our local museum.

You can also use an auto reverser intended for DCC to do the same job on a dc display.  But you have to wire it differently.  Instead of connecting the centre track directly to the power source and connecting the end (reversing) tracks to the same source via the reverser as you would do with DCC,  you have to connect the end tracks directly to the power pack pack and connect the centre track to the power pack through the auto reverser.  You also have to make sure the end tracks are polarized correctly.  They must be connected so that a locomotive or street car placed on them will move toward the centre track, not toward the dead end of the end track.  The reverser will take care of the polarity of the centre track.

Here is how it works:
1) when you first apply power, a motorized unit on the centre track will move toward one end or the other.
2) when the motorized unit reaches an end track, it causes a short circuit as it crosses the double gaps between the centre track and the end track.
3) the short circuit will cause the polarity of the centre section to reverse which will cause the motorized unit to move toward the other end section.
4)when the motorized unit reaches the other end track, it causes a short circuit as it crosses the double gaps ... (skip back to step 3).

CAUTIONS:
The dc power pack that you use must be capable of producing enough current to properly throw the auto reverser.    Generally, the power packs that come with train sets do not produce enough current.  And there may be auto reversers out there that do not throw on dc no matter how much current is available.

But if you already have an auto reverser and a good power pack, try it out and see if it will do the job for you.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

grumpy

The auto reverser that I used was mfg by  local co. Bazooka Elecronics  in Edmonton AB .He does have a website but I don't have the address on hand . The cost was about $50.00. I use a Digitrax AR1 for my Y reversing . DCC is not required for either of these items.
Don

jsmvmd

Dear Jim et al,

Thanks for the replies.  Jim,  I was familiar with your link at the Sasketoon site, but had forgotten it.  I found a discussion with schematics on another forum at these links.  The schematics are probably similar to Jim's.  Will give it a go!

http://www.modeltrainguide.com/index.php?mode=displayarticle&section=5&article=4

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/AutoRevCheap.html

Thanks a million!