News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dynamis

Started by fieromike, June 04, 2008, 10:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fieromike

For those that are interested, the July '08 Model Railroader magazine has a mostly favorable revue on the Dynamis.

SteamGene

Has anybody ever seen an unfavorable MR review?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Conrail Quality

Maybe someone should make a really bad locomotive and then refuse to by ad space in MR, just so we can see MR write an unfavorable review.:D

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

fieromike

Quote from: SteamGene on June 04, 2008, 11:28:44 AM
Gene
Sometimes you have to read between the lines.  If you find them glossing over or ignoring something that stands out, that's as good as them waving a red flag.  They are bleeding subscribers badly enough that they don't need to alienate their advertisers too.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: fieromike on June 04, 2008, 09:23:36 PM
Quote from: SteamGene on June 04, 2008, 11:28:44 AM
Gene
Sometimes you have to read between the lines.  If you find them glossing over or ignoring something that stands out, that's as good as them waving a red flag.  They are bleeding subscribers badly enough that they don't need to alienate their advertisers too.

See the March 2004 review of the Proto 2-8-4.

Note in the review the following comment

The Berkshire's drawbar pull is equivalent to about 47 free-rolling cars on straight and level track. It does seem to slip easily, so its pulling capacity will probably improve as the blackening is worn off the drivers.

I bought one of these and it would barely pull its own weight, I contacted Walthers and was advised that the first run could not be updated with the traction tire option that was installed on later runs.

Now I will not purchase any engine without first checking with users who have one.

I still want to read any review by Model Railroader or MRC or any other model railroading source.
Pacific Northern

grumpy

Did the Proto people help you in any way
Don :(

Yampa Bob

The Proto people just helped themselves to his money.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: grumpy on June 08, 2008, 12:32:06 AM
Did the Proto people help you in any way
Don :(

Other than telling me what a fine engine I had purchased, no. I was surprised when they advised me that the 1st run engines were not upgradeable.  End of story.

I must then assume then that there is at least a suble difference in the spacing of the drivers or some other reason why I could not obtain a set of drivers with the traction tire and install it in the engine.
Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Yampa Bob on June 08, 2008, 04:36:11 AM
The Proto people just helped themselves to his money.

So true.

I did learn a lesson though.

I no longer buy any item from a first run until I have personally contacted a few owners of said item and discussed the item in detail as to its ease of operation and characteristics.
Pacific Northern