News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale layouts....HELP!!!

Started by benjamman, June 09, 2008, 02:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benjamman

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and model trains in general. I was hoping for a bit of help.

I'm starting the planning process for a N scale layout for my 9 yr old. He's kept his little n scale set running for a couple of years now, and I promised him a full layout if he took care of it. Stupid me!

Anyway, I think I'm going to stick with the ez track, since he already has quite a few pieces from his set. I've had a hard time locating any track plans for EZ track. I'm thinking a pretty big layout (3x 5 or 4x8) with a double loop and some stuff in the middle.

Does anyone know if such a reference exists online or is this just a trial and error kind of approach, with the layout design?

Also, does anyone know about doing grade changes with EZ? (nothing major, just a little for interest)

GlennW

Benjamin, your best bet may be to expand his existing layout. You may have enough curves already, or you can add some with larger radius.

THe main item to purchase are more straight tracks.

If you want to go with a doubletrack mainline, it may be the time to consider using Kato Unitrack. You may not neerd a shim to have the same rail height, but Kato offers a lot more variety in track. It is nearly bulletproof.

benjamman

Thanks for the advice. I've been doing a ton of research, and I think I'm going to take your advice Glenn and go with the Kato stuff. Laying track sounds like an art form I don't currently have the time to master. Maybe when my life affords more free time.

Right now I just want to put together an interesting layout for my boy, that goes up with as little trouble or effort possible. I know it costs more. But right now I have a little more extra money than I do time.

I appreciate the input.

ben