News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Breaking in Bachmann steam engines ...

Started by Rashputin, June 10, 2008, 03:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rashputin

I haven't broken in any engines since back in the 1970s, and these nice little steamers seem like they're a good bit better, right out of the box.  I'd like to know what kind of experience folks have had breaking theirs in.  I have 2-8-0s, 2-10-0s, 4-8-2s, 2-8-4s, and 2-6-6-2s, so whatever you have I'd like to know how you got them ready for layout use.  How did you break them in, how much difference did you see after breaking them in, and what kind of lubrication did you use before or after a break in?

I have to say, the ones I have all run so smoothly right out the box that I don't expect the kind of dramatic difference you used to see if you took your time to work one in right.  I've only run mine around a loop once or twice in each direction at low speed to check that they arrived in working order.  To date, although I have one that sort of "growls" a bit, all have run smoothly and well.

If you chose not to break yours in I'd like to know that as well, as maybe just regular use would be as effective as a break in period.

Thanks

R. Hume

Yampa Bob

Most of my locos are Bachmann, they run great out of the box. I generally run a new one for about 15 minutes with no cars, at varied speeds in both directions, with frequent stops to check for heat or excess factory oil on the bottom.  After a little breakin they run smoother, quieter and faster.

Since mine are all DCC equipped, I first run them on DC power until they are well limbered up before putting them on DCC power.  I don't want any binding or sluggishness that might tend to overheat the decoder.

I use lubrication very sparingly, and only types recommended by Bachmann.  The tiniest drop lasts a long time.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Bill Baker

Rashputin,

Yampa Bob hit the nail on the head.  Be sure and check the running gear that there is no packing material or debris in the gears or drivers.

Bill
Bill

Daylight4449

I just turn my power on 50 and leave it be for a while.