News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Back to Traction Tires

Started by sloan, June 11, 2008, 06:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sloan

Ok ..I need the Bachmann part # for some traction tires,These are 20 yr old diesels Santa fe  and Burlington (same chassis ) These are four wheel drive locos with the back 2 wheels (1 axle) having traction tires .theses are the cheap engines ,I've tried making them from RTV and have got them to work ,but not exactly right .I want to get then fully functional  mostly for sentimental value  Or if not a Bachmann # Some other manufactures # that will work.
                                                         Thanks Sloan

Yampa Bob

Sloan
You had this same thread May 20.  Someone referred you to Walthers.com.  Did you not find any there?
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

grumpy

If you ph Bachman they will send you the tires . I have and they did.
Don :)

sloan

I went to walthers they had some tires but I would have to quessat the size wrote them .They couldn't tell me a thing, said they weren't authorized to sell Bachmann parts ........... CAlled Bachmann no help here either they said I needed a Bachmann part #   .Bachmann more or less told me if  the loco'a are over 5 yrs old ..I was on my on to find the parts

Yampa Bob

Measure the rim size with a dial or digital caliper, that will give you the inside diameter of the tire. Then relate that size to Walthers and they can tell what set you need.

The actual tire will be a little smaller than the rim, so when it's stretched over it will be tight.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

engineman

Hi
Give Powerline in Australia a yell  www.powerline.com.au their locomotive tyres are being use by a lot of us in Australia who have had to replace various makers traction tyres especially lima...
Cannot find the spell checker on this site but I know you well educated Americans/Canadians will soon tell me where it is.

Jhanecker2

To Engineman :  I don't think there is a spell checker on this site. Due to the typos and really bad grammar I have seen , it does not exist. Your chose of spelling appears to be British English . This should be intelligable to American and Canadians . The only problem with English is that it is not spelled phonetically and loves to retain archaic spellings but aside from that it is one of the most flexible of languages in current use.  Goodday.

grumpy

Try this - measure the size of the tire you need ; got to a hydraukic fitting supply house and see if they  have an o'ring that may fit. My o'ring sizing chart tells me there should be one you can use.
Don

JerryB

While I don't model in H0 anymore, I used to get replacement H0 traction tires from an orthodontist. They use many small sizes of bands for retainers. I just took the locomotive along and found ones that fit. I don't remember that he charged me for them, as they are pretty low cost, even from a dentist. The dental bands have a very long life as they are made from tough silicone rubber.

Also, most hobby shops that carry trains have a supply of rubber bands for traction tires. You do not need to find a "Bachmann" band to make it work.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: engineman on June 14, 2008, 02:24:54 AM
Hi
Give Powerline in Australia a yell  www.powerline.com.au their locomotive tyres are being use by a lot of us in Australia who have had to replace various makers traction tyres especially lima...
Cannot find the spell checker on this site but I know you well educated Americans/Canadians will soon tell me where it is.

If you download the Google toolbar for free, the spellchecker is with that. So then when your unsure about ANYTHING, just click it, it checks spelling in all the textboxes on a webpage, good luck.
- Joshua Bauer

Redtail67

Grumpy:

Would an "O" ring really work with the oval shape of the rubber? I have a kit of hundreds of them I just thougth they would ride correctly because of the shape of the rubber, not flat like a band.

JerryB:

Now that is an idea..i never would have thought of that! Thanks for the post.

Redtail67

grumpy

You can purchase square o'rings.The round ones should work.
Don

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: grumpy on June 17, 2008, 12:53:21 AM
You can purchase square o'rings.The round ones should work.
Don
Grumpy,
Do they have a website to offer about that place, I'm also in need of some traction tires as well.

~Santa Fe buff.
- Joshua Bauer