News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

rivarossi's J.M bowker and car pulling

Started by HOplasserem80c, March 02, 2007, 04:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOplasserem80c

ok my friend got this engine and wants to knw hat is best tp pull with it and how much can it pull because it i only a 2-4-0
                                                                                thanks your friend HOP

Guilford Guy

Alex

traindude109

Quote from: HOplasserem80c on March 02, 2007, 04:48:29 PM
ok my friend got this engine and wants to knw hat is best tp pull with it and how much can it pull because it i only a 2-4-0
                                                                                thanks your friend HOP

maybe some correct spelling:

OK, my friend got this engine and wants to know what is the best to pull with and how much it can pull because it is only a 2-4-0.

Now maybe someone can answer the question without guessing what the words are..................
Matt

Boulder Creek and Western Railroad (G scale 1:20.3)

HOplasserem80c

HOplasserem80c

TwinZephyr

The prototype is a light switching engine (current tense because the JW Bowker still exists).  The model should have a traction tire and will most likely pull more cars than the real Bowker.  As a word of caution - attempting to pull too many cars may cause the traction tire equipped driver to break loose from the axle or overheat the motor.

The most appropriate cars to use with the Bowker would be wooden open platform passenger cars and truss rod freight cars such as those sold in Bachmann's old timer 4-4-0 train sets.

Jim2903

Buy or rent the 1939 classic movie "Union Pacific." It features extensive footage of the Bowker in operation, along with other V&T steamers, and should give you an idea of the kinds of trains this loco can pull. You can also see the Bowker rolling down a snowy mountainside (actually a scale model for that scene). This movie led me to get a Bowker model when I was a kid. I still have it, albeit in pieces after an aborted repainting effort.

Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

HOplasserem80c

theres a movie called union pacific. i knew union pacific was awsome it has a movie

Woody Elmore

The movie "Union Pacific" is a must for railroad fans. Just ignore the cheesy plot lines.

I'll see if I can find if the movie is still in print. I doubt it is available on DVD.

Woody Elmore

Amazon has the movie available on VHS. It was re-released in 1995. Here's the plot: One of the last bills signed by President Lincoln authorizes pushing the Union Pacific Railroad across the wilderness to California. But financial opportunist Asa Barrows hopes to profit from obstructing it. Chief troubleshooter Jeff Butler has his hands full fighting Barrows' agent, gambler Sid Campeau; Campeau's partner Dick Allen is Jeff's war buddy and rival suitor for engineer's daughter Molly Monahan. Who will survive the effort to push the railroad through at any cost?

Silly plot, great trains!

HOplasserem80c

JM

Every railroad that ever existed  [and some that didn't]   has probably been in at least one movie, UP,SF,B&O,PENNSY,D&RGW,Durango&Silverton........we should get the railroad movies thread going again.

ebtnut

There has quite a spate of movies with railroad themes, especially in the 1930's and '40's.  Besides "Union Pacific", there was a movie on the Santa Fe; The Twentieth Century Limited was featured in a film by that name; a movie called "Silver Streak" was basically a movie-length "infomercial" for the CB&Q's brand new Zephyr; A movie entitled "Danger Lights" was filmed on the old Milwaukee Road; a movie called "Denver and Rio Grande" featured a head-on collision between two old 2-8-0's (real, not models!) accented with some dynamite; "Emperor of the North" was more contemporary, but filmed on the OP&E with real steam locos.  One thing to note is that the editors sometimes got lazy or cheap and would splice in stock train footage that might be of almost any railroad. 

Jim2903

QuoteOne thing to note is that the editors sometimes got lazy or cheap and would splice in stock train footage that might be of almost any railroad.

Like in the movie "White Christmas," where they travel from Florida to Vermont on the San Diegan, and then in close-ups at the depot where they're getting off, there's SP heavyweights ...
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

Woody Elmore

There are a few interesting engines and train scenes used in the film "Flags of Our Fathers" including a Zephyr. One engine is, I think, a CB&Q E-7 so the shots must have been done at a train museum.

For  most train footage I think "Danger Lights" and "Emperor of the North" are tied for first place, although there were certainly a lot of trains in "Union Pacific."