Started by ta152h0, June 11, 2008, 02:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ta152h0

as long as I can find the carriage with a loo  ;D

StanierJack

Quote from: ta152h0 on June 14, 2008, 04:49:34 PM

Most do, especially the Pendilinos.

British Stock is fun. You can model a 100 year old Terrier Tank Engine next to a brand new English Electric Type 2. All in 1967.

British Modellers know what I mean 

rogertra

Quote from: StanierJack on June 14, 2008, 05:07:22 PM

British Stock is fun. You can model a 100 year old Terrier Tank Engine next to a brand new English Electric Type 2. All in 1967.

I think not, at least not under British Railways auspices.  The last Terriers were withdawn. I believe. in 1963 shortly after the close of my local branchline  on November 03, 1963, the Hayling Branch, that ran from Havant, my home town, to Hayling Island.

Half a dozen or thereabouts have been preserved, one even in Canada at the Canadian Railway Musuem/Expo Rail.

Ozzie21

Well in theory you could conceveably have type A and type B diesels in consort with a Stroudly Terrier. As Roger wrote the last Terriers operated on the Hayling island branch till November 1963. The type A and type B diesels were introduced in 1957 and 1958. Bachman make a couple of these, Class 20, class 24, Hornby make a Class 30/31, and Bachmann  also make a couple of the bigger type C like the WR Warship or class 42, the class 40 and the class 44 or type D. you can also pick up a class 26 or type B from Heljan.. All these locos wer introduced between 1957 and 1960 so with a little bit of imagination it's not hard to place a Terrier  beside a class 44 even if they never met in real life. BR went to great lengths to publicise the new traction showing diesels passing steam locos, usually slow moving goods trains, or passing steam engines sitting in the dead rows at various depots. Decrees were issued that certain services like the Master Cutler,  the Edinburgh/ Glasgow fast expresses were to be diesel hauled their full journey. But diesels were fragile things and failed a lot so locos like the A1's A3, A4 continued on longer than was planned. Some of the diesel classes had a fairly short life as they weren't up to the challenge so locos like the 8F, Black 5, 4 and 5MT , 7MT and 9F continued right up to that bitter weekend of August 3/4 1968. Yep thats right a year before the US put two blokes on the moon steam was still running in the UK. The final steam hauled train was the 15guinea special. This was ran the weekend after the official end of steam.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: rogertra on June 15, 2008, 02:17:40 AM
Quote from: StanierJack on June 14, 2008, 05:07:22 PM

I think not, at least not under British Railways auspices.  The last Terriers were withdawn. I believe. in 1963 shortly after the close of my local branchline  on November 03, 1963, the Hayling Branch, that ran from Havant, my home town, to Hayling Island.

Half a dozen or thereabouts have been preserved, one even in Canada at the Canadian Railway Musuem/Expo Rail.