News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Train "Lines"

Started by lirrman, June 14, 2008, 11:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lirrman

As I look through various hobby advertisements for Bachmann HO locomotives, both old and new, I see 1) Bachman PLUS  2) Bachmann SPECTRUM, 3) Bachmann STANDARD LINE,  4) DCC ON-BOARD and 5) DCC ready.  What's the difference?  Is STANDARD LINE the original Bachmann mechanism.  How can you tell the difference when buying used locomotives, like the original Daylights and F40PH and the newer, better, units..  ???
LIRRMAN

SteamGene

Don't buy used.  The new Standards, many now with DCC on Board, are almost as good as the Spectrum.  Far, far, far better than the old "Botchedmann." 
DCC on Board means there is a decoder in the locomotive - it is not a sound decoder. 
DCC Ready means there is an NMRA eight pin socket for a decoder, the motor is isolated, and the bulb will take DCC.  It may still be necessary to cut capacitors. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Paul M.

Bachmann Spectrum = Top of the line
Bachmann Plus = Better than Standard, not as good as Spectrum(discontinued line)
Bachmann Standard = Average, some older stuff considered "junk" but newer stuff pretty good.
DCC Ready and DCC On-board Gene explained.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Paul M. on June 14, 2008, 12:01:37 PM
Bachmann Spectrum = Top of the line
Bachmann Plus = Better than Standard, not as good as Spectrum(discontinued line)
Bachmann Standard = Average, some older stuff considered "junk" but newer stuff pretty good.
DCC Ready and DCC On-board Gene explained.

Be aware that there is a LOT of old model railroad stock circulating.

I have been in a number of small hobby shops where the Bachmann inventory was a few years old to say the least.

Same goes for on-line shopping.

There is a reason many time why the prices have been reduced drastically as you may be dealing with very old stock.

Pacific Northern

Hunt

DCC Ready means the motor brushes are isolated from the power pickups and there is some means to accept the installation of a decoder... a socket, solder pads, wires or something else. The easy way to isolate the motor brushes is to isolate the motor.

Note: Not all Bachmann DCC Ready locomotives have a NMRA 8-pin socket.

az2rail

Paul M- I got confused here. Can you clarify your second line for me. Spectrun[discontinued line].

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

the Bach-man

Dear Bruce,
The Spectrum line is our top of the line. The "Plus" designation has been dropped, but many od the Standard Line items are even better than the "Plus" items in their day.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

lirrman

Thanks to all who replied.  It was a big help
LIRRMAN :)

az2rail

Thanks. I mis-understood what was discontinued.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

hobo1

if your going to buy then athearn or proto 1000 or 2000 . dont mess with junkfrom ebay. YOU'LL BE SORRY