????? DCC ready/equipped/sound in Class J ????? Plz help

Started by jcwillauer, June 15, 2008, 08:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcwillauer

Can somebody please help me with this?

I'm new to these trains and I've taken quite a liking to the Norfolk and Western 4-8-4 class J locomotive. I plan to buy one but I have no idea which models have what as far as the DCC is concerned. Does the DCC ready/equipped/sound correspond to model numbers? Ie: 600,603,608,611...etc.? I have searched this site and google but I can find nothing pinning this question down. I've seen that the 611, (railfan version), according to this site, is DCC equipped, (by the way, what is the railfan version?), but a 611 I've found on E-bay says DCC ready, not equipped. Also, others I've seen on E-bay, particularly the 600, say nothing about DCC, I'm assuming that the 600 is an older version of this train?

Simply put, Is the model number indicative of which DCC options are on that locomotive, or are DCC options like a factory option you would order on a new car, available on all models? And one last thing, what is the diference between a Spectrum version and non-spectrum version of the class J? Just want to make sure that I get what I want the first time around.

Thanx, JC 

Santa Fe buff

Specturm is almost some difference, I have no experince but to say that spectrum is bachmann locomotives on a different line, like Williams by Bachmann. Anyway, what scale is it? HO?
- Joshua Bauer

Santa Fe buff

By the way, I think they are DCC ready, which I think might be DCC, you should wait for a better understanding person then me to answer your questions.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1093
I think very much that it is DCC, just ready, no added DCC components, anyway, I highly would buy it, because I can say, I THINK IT IS DCC! No really 100% sure, but about 95% sure.
- Joshua Bauer

Jake

DCC Ready means it is ready to accept a decoder via solder pads, or an NMRA plug.

DCC Equipped/Onboard means that it has the DCC decoder already installed on the locomotive.

DCC Sound onboard means it has a Bachmann Custom Soundtraxx Tsunami motor control/sound decoder and speaker installed.

Basically, the only way to know if a model is DCC Ready/Equipped is to look at the details on the product page on the website, regardless if it is or is not the Bachmann site. I'd doubt they would advertise a DCC Ready loco as DCC Equipped.

Also, for a good price, and clear details on Bachmann (among other manufacturers) products, I would recommend www.micromark.com not to mention, they have a great selection of small tools that work well for model railroading.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

To answer your question about 600, 603, 608, 611 - these are historic cab (engine) numbers of the N&W J class 4-8-4.  For your purpose, the imortant thing is to note on the box or in the ad:
DCC Ready (as described)
DCC On Board (as described)
DCC Sound On Board (?) (as described)
If it does NOT mention DCC, it is an older - maybe way older - version and is not DCC ready.  Installing DCC of any sort MAY be difficult. 
As for the "railfan" - that refers to the 611 as outfitted for rail excursions from the '60s until the mid '90s when she sadly dropped steam for the last time.  The quick story is that 611 had an accident in the very late steam period of N&W.  It was repaired and returned to service just as word came down to drop steam and dieselize.  They asked about 611, as a fair amount of money had been spent in the rebuild.  So she was saved for excursion service, later joined by a N&W Class A 2-6-6-4 which had been used for years as a stationary boiler.  All the other N&W Js, As, and Ys are frying pans and engine blocks. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Jake on June 15, 2008, 12:08:31 PM
DCC Ready means it is ready to accept a decoder via solder pads, or an NMRA plug.

DCC Equipped/Onboard means that it has the DCC decoder already installed on the locomotive.

DCC Sound onboard means it has a Bachmann Custom Soundtraxx Tsunami motor control/sound decoder and speaker installed.

Basically, the only way to know if a model is DCC Ready/Equipped is to look at the details on the product page on the website, regardless if it is or is not the Bachmann site. I'd doubt they would advertise a DCC Ready loco as DCC Equipped.

Also, for a good price, and clear details on Bachmann (among other manufacturers) products, I would recommend www.micromark.com not to mention, they have a great selection of small tools that work well for model railroading.

Ah, yes, brain fart, I knew that, but I really didn't think... Now that is about the 60th time I forgot the different. Man, and it is spelt right out too, DCC ready is ready to accept Decoder, duh, I am very very dumbfounded sometimes. Thanks.
- Joshua Bauer

jcwillauer

Thanx for the replies, it's all comin together now. And yes, HO scale.

Now, for starters, I believe that I would probably start with a basic DC track set-up, (I grew up with Lionels and simple layouts), so I won't need the DCC right away. However, I think that I would like to have it for if/when I do upgrade. And I believe it is correct to say that a DCC train will run fine on a DC track, but that care should be taken when running a regular DC train on a DCC transformer due to overheating concerns. Can anyone offer advice in this area? Should I stay away from DCC locos until I know more about the system, or will I be fine with a DCC loco on a regular track?

Also, my dad mentioned how some of these different "Manufacturing lines" that have produced O-scale trains over the years have had beautiful detail, but lacked seriously in the electronics department, particularly models out of China. I think I read somewhere that Spectrum is a Chinese line and I've also seem some blogs containing Spectrum malfunction questions. Can anyone advise on this? Does one line make better motors than the others?

And last, does anyone care to recommend which line/model/road number I should go for? There seems to be so many to choose from just Bachmann alone. From what I've read, number 611 is obviously the most historic, but I am willing to sacrifice a different road number for a better running/looking locomotive.

Thanks again for all the help.
JC

Santa Fe buff

Q: Can anyone offer advice in this area? Should I stay away from DCC locos until I know more about the system, or will I be fine with a DCC loco on a regular track?

A: DCC locomotives can run perfectly on DC track, but not AC. I have a DCC locomotive that ran on DC. It is very well okay, due to that DCC is based of DC current. But if you have an old terminal that uses AC, should be labled, then stay away from DCC, but DC can run on AC also.
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

DCC decoder is a little computer chip which you plug into the socket provided, or hardwire into the locomotive if there is no socket. A DCC decoder requires a person to tell it what to do. On a regular DC layout, turning the throttle, and sending DC current through the trackage will be decoded as move forward ad X speed. On DCC, you have a throttle. This throttle has buttons which will tell the decoder to turn off or on the lights, dim the lights, etc. DCC decoders can be programmed to different numbers, so you can choose between different locomotives in your roster to run. You can also control break and acceleration delay. With Sound, you can tell the decoder to make sounds provided, like the bell, whistle/horn, airbrake sounds, etc. DC is a good way to start but DCC is much more fun!
Alex

jcwillauer

OK, some of my questions about "lines" has been answered in another blog "Topic: Bachmann Train "Lines"", but I'm still open to any suggestions on which specific train models to seek based on other's experience and preferences.

As for the AC / DC issue, is this something that I'm likely to encounter? I assume that this applies merely to the transformer and that all track would be universal, but it seems that with all I've read about these trains, the DC systems would be the most common. I obviously want to go with what is most readily available in parts and pieces, but more importantly, what will work with any trains that I choose to pick up in the future. Are there that many AC components out there or is that just something that I'm likely to find in old box at a flea market somewhere?

Keep in mind that I have nothing right now, (except for some electric Lego trains which are quite simplistic compared to this stuff), so I will be buying track, transformer, etc. I have read enough to know that I will need wide radius track for the 4-8-4 locos, and that nickel-silver track appears to be the way to go, but will I need to choose between an AC or DC transformer as well?

Also, does anyone feel that buying a "DCC ready" loco would be my best option right now? Or, does spending the money on the front end outweigh the hassle of having to add the decoder components later? Not only, might better decoders come out later, but going DCC Ready vs DCC Onboard would expand my lsit of available locos right now as well.

jcwillauer

Well, it seems that for even just performance alone, (leaving out the sound, programmability, and load compenastaion abilities), that the DCC trains are the way to go. Does anyone feel otherwise?

Do the DCC locos seem to stand up to a regular DC loco in load pulling ability on a DC only track, or do they need the DCC, (I guess it's called a controller now, not a transformer), to reach their pulling potential. From what I've read, it seems that the DCC decoders eat up some of the power, leaving less for the motor.

Guilford Guy

Quote from: Hunt on June 15, 2008, 05:13:33 PM
Quote from: Guilford Guy on June 15, 2008, 04:45:35 PM
DCC decoder is a little computer chip ...
FYI
Click http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,5144.msg43937/topicseen.html#msg43937
And read the part starting with,
It sounds like it is time once again to explain the difference between a "chip" and a "decoder."  

Sorry, I meant it to be a comparison... "A DCC decoder is a little like a computer chip." I guess I should get back into the habit of proof-reading...
Alex

jcwillauer

Mechanics- no problem, Electronics- I can keep from shocking myself and I know how to solder, Learning ability- I can read, and once I do something once I've got it down. But more importantly, I like to learn from other peoples experiences, and mistakes, hence all these questions.

I've got my heart set on the HO Norfolk and Western 4-8-4, and I'm merely trying to learn all I can before I buy one due to the different DCC options. I know my preference and ability are important but I'm asking for input to see what others have dealt with and overcome. My budget plays an important role as well.

I'm not looking  to set up a huge diorama right now with multiple trains on separate tracks, I merely want a nice little train set-up with a little bit of track. But, as with all of my hobbies, I believe there will come a day when I wish to expand beyond that and I'd like to be able to look back and say I bought the right train, basically I'd like to keep my options open.

What I need to know is if a DCC locomotive will be OK for me right now on a basic train track set-up, or will I need to spend alot of money to run that train with DCC controllers. I'm also looking at some other, cheaper HO trains, that will have nothing to do with DCC and I want to be able to use them on the same track, (not at the same time), without needing different controllers.

jcwillauer

I knew what u meant Guilford Guy. And thanx for the link Hunt, it helped.

richG

Since you like the N&W 4-8-4 here is a HO DCC Equipped which means DCC, no sound. It also runs on DC. It is $95.00, plus $12.00 shipping and Buy It Now. No bidding necessary.  I and a couple others on this forum have bought from The Favorite Spot. Very good customer service.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BACHMANN-SPECTRUM-HO-J-4-8-4-DCC-TRAIN-LOCO-NORF-82121_W0QQitemZ370055676152QQihZ024QQcategoryZ19132QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

Standard DC version with aux water tender. $96.00.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BACHMANN-SPECTRUM-HO-J-4-8-4-TRAIN-LOCO-NORF-82105_W0QQitemZ190225528931QQihZ009QQcategoryZ19132QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

If you want to try bidding.
http://search.stores.ebay.com/THE-FAVORITE-SPOT_4-8-4-norf_W0QQfcdZ2QQfciZ0QQfclZ3QQfromZR10QQfsnZTHEQ20FAVORITEQ20SPOTQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsubZ2QQsaselZ13534603QQsatitleZ4Q2d8Q2d4Q20norfQQsofpZ0

Moving from the Analog World, DC, into the Digital World, DCC, opens up many possibilities.

Some of you might look at the below link concerning DCC. Put the link in your Favorites folder for future reference. This guy is in Australia but uses many USA products. There are examples of what decoders are like. It is better than, I Heard and They Say. You have documentation.
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn/index.htm

Rich