News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

minimum curves for Bachmann Niagaras?

Started by wannabe, June 15, 2008, 08:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannabe

I would really like to purchase a New York Central Niagara 4-8-4, but I have a (necessary) 18" radius curve coming out of my staging area, so I'm worried.

I tried to search these forums first, but there seemed to be conflicting opinions. Does anyone know where I can find product info from Bachmann re: minmum curves? I can't seem to find details on the website.

Thanks!

the Bach-man

Dear Wannabe,
If your trackwork is perfect the Niagra should negotiate the curve.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

wannabe

Awesome, thanks Mr. Bach Man! I'm eager to get your Niagara.

If anyone happens to read this, trainworld has a sale on Bachmann Spectrum stuff:

www.trainworldonline.com

Looks like some good deals. Gotta go buy my Niagara now, thanks.

ta152h0

Remember the BachMann said "perfect  tracks. Make sure all the railjoiners are tight and the tops of the rails match perfectly. in my personal experience i have had to sand smooth the joints in mote than one place.

PaulDeS

I just recently purchased the Niagara and can run it (carefully) on a layout that has a couple of turns that are less than 18" radius.  Low speed around the curves is important (ha, try telling that to my grandson). My layout is very small (actually folds up into a basement wall, that's why I always drool over those enormous layouts in magazines. The tender is more of a problem than the engine (it's one of those centipede designs and doesn't do well around tight curves but from what you say it may be ok. I'm thinking of buying a different tender to ease this problem.

Paul

Daylight4449

would it do it without a problem on 18 inch. nothing less?

PaulDeS

I think that 18" radius (min) would work fine, again the tender is the problem point (especially when reversing through the turn).

Paul

Daylight4449