News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Passenger Loco

Started by Daylight4449, June 16, 2008, 06:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

Which of these will run on 18 inch radius curves, don't care about looks.

GS4
overland limiteds 4-8-4
Niagra
j class
SY mikado
2-8-0
2-10-0
k4 pacific

SteamGene

The earlier 4-8-4s all had enough wheel slop to run on 18 inch.  The new ones may be 22" or wider.  I assume the "J" is the N&W 4-8-4 and the K4 is the PRR 4-6-2.  Both of these depend - older, yes, newer, no, probably not.  The Bachmann C&O K4 will not run on 18." 
SY, 2-8-0, 2-10-0 (Russian Decapod) should all run on 18 but none are passenger locos per se.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Daylight4449 on June 16, 2008, 06:21:03 PM
Which of these will run on 18 inch radius curves, don't care about looks.

GS4
overland limiteds 4-8-4
Niagra
j class
SY mikado
2-8-0
2-10-0
k4 pacific
All of them will run at maximum of 18 degree radii. Good luck.
- Joshua Bauer

the Bach-man

Dear Daylight,
The new Spectrum Class J needs 22" radius.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

RAM

grumpy

The Broadway LTD class J 4-8-4 with DCC and sound glides around the 18"curves with class.
Don :)

Guilford Guy

The Roundhouse 4-6-2 will, when it comes out in Octobrez!
Alex

Daylight4449

I only want to know about spectrum. j is out. get it

Daylight4449

I know the gs4 is standard but i want it the most. By the way, when are excursion cars coming out. I heard about them in an old thread. Did i miss them? were they cancelled?

rogertra

For steam my principle pasenger engines are 2 x Athearn 4-6-2s and 3 x Spectrum Light 4-8-2s.

Diesels are a mix of a couple of "Torpedo GP7"s kitbashed from Kato GP7s,  three or so Life-Like FPA-2s and two or three FP7As also, from LIfe-Like, I think and an RCD1 and RDC2.  As I only run one passenger train on the current GER, a Doodlebug or "Motor" on the GER, I'm a bit vague as to the exact number of passenger diesels as they are in storage awaiting a new GER.

Daylight4449

will the standard j work. I want a gs4 pulling a 4 car sp set the most. But the 142 sy is one of my all time favorite locos.

robman

G'day. Can I add my two cents worth. I do have a Niagara 4-8-4- by Bachmann,late model CC on board, and although it will go through an 18" radius curve your track work must be good. I have had more problems with the centipede tender than the loco when trying to run it on tight curves. Until I build a larger layout the 4-8-4 will become a shelf display along with its 5 matching coaches. Cheers Rob.
Modeling over there over here

Pacific Northern

Mr. B

You indicate that the newer version of the J requires 22" radius. Is this the DCC on Board version?

There are 2 releases of the J, one is DCC ready and it comes with the aux tender the other is DCC on Board.

Does the DCC ready version run on the 18" radius and the DCC on Board require 22" radius track?
Pacific Northern

Conrail Quality

The DCC ready class J and the DCC on board class J share the same mechanism. Both require 22" radius. The older, non-DCC ready class J may have been fine with 18" radius; I'm not sure.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale