suggestion to Bach-Man regarding the Acela express

Started by airferber, June 16, 2008, 06:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airferber

Dear mr Bach-man,

I own an Acela Express train, which is recommended to run on a 19-inch radius curve.  If you run it on an 11-inch or a kato 12-3/8 inch radius curve, it will slow down dramatically.  The HO scale acela runs on a 22-inch radius curve.  In proportion, that is like a train running on an 11 inch radius curve in n scale. Is there any way you or the company can design or make an upgrade mechanism that can allow the acela to make tighter turns without slowing down?  A 19-inch radius curve on the main line will take up a lot of space.  If an upgrade was made, the appearance may be less prototypical during the turns, but many people would then be able to operate the train on a smaller layout due to space constraints. Please take this suggestion into consideration.

Thanks,

-Aaron

the Bach-man

Dear Aaron,
I'll pass that along.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

UP_Modeler

Aaron,

I totally agree with you Dude.  Unfortunately, Bachmann is not likely going to re-tool it now.  Most likely it wouldn't make economic sense to do that at this point. :(  You're probably going to have to modify the train on your own.  You might consider turning down the wheel flanges.  This probably won't get you down to an 11" radius but it might get you to 16-17"

Mr. Bachmann,

You guys have definitely turned it around thanks in large part to Lee Riley who I totally admire and respect.  Mr. Riley is a genius and a hobby industry legend.  It wasn't that long ago when Bachmann's N-Scale products were a joke and in the last few years the offerings have dramatically increased in quality.  That said, you did kind of shoot yourself in the foot with the latest Northeast Corridor models requiring a 19" radius.  This is especially true for the Acela which could be a great "impulse" buy/starter product.  Think about it, a family takes a trip on the prototype Acela and then mom or dad picks up the Bachmann Acela model train set for the kids. 

But here's the problem.  Beginners who venture beyond the train set usually purchase more track as one of their first acquisitions.  Beginners usually don't want to deal with bending flex track they normally go for the sectional stuff.  It can be somewhat difficult to find a 19" radius with sectional track and if/when you do, it's even more difficult to find something larger, assuming you want an outer and inner curve on a double track mainline.  Then we have to assume that someone has the room for curves this large.  If they do, they probably are into HO.

Anyway, I don't mean to dwell on this you know what I'm saying?  I'm not trying to diss Bachmann in any way, just making a suggestion for the future so that more casual train set buyers can "graduate" and become full-on model railroaders.  Thanks for listening. ;D

Mike :)

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer

airferber

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on June 20, 2008, 06:59:15 PM
Try tiling your turns, it helps the G-Force.

I just bought the kato V11 track set with superelevated (tilting) curves with an inner radius of 15 inches and an outer radius of 16 inches.  The train runs great on this track.

siderod

MY Acella is a beautiful static display model.  It derails through medium turnouts and the lights in the cars and the ends of the train a barely visible in total darkness.  I have not been able to reprogram the loco lights to work properly. 

Part of the problem is that I ASSUMED!  You know th old saying about when you assume.  I assumed that it would run on 9 inch radius track like all the other manufactures high speed.  I did not check this aspect out before buying  everything piecemeal.  The Acela should easily take 11 inch radius curves except for the fact that due to the design of the electrical pick up of the trucks the trucks can not wiggle or rotate slightly about the longitudinal axis and there is no simple fix to this.

Word of advice to others: check the product out carefully before you buy.  DO NOT ASSUME, as I did.

Best to All

James in FL

Quote from: siderod on July 16, 2008, 07:20:14 PM
I assumed that it would run on 9 inch radius track like all the other manufactures high speed. 

Can you back this statement with "facts"?

Perhaps by posting in what medium "Other Manufacturers" claim this can be done?
Dates and named publications would be helpful or where you have seen this posted by "Other Manufacturers" on the Web?

If you don't know what you're talking about why would you make a public statement that would put in to question your credibility?

Or perhaps you just came here to whine and bash our hosts?

As for the alleged "problems" with your Acela,
Join a club or try to befriend a model railroader who might be willing to teach you basic mechanical/electrical skills.

If you don't have the mechanical aptitude, or the desire, to "tinker" this hobby is probably not for you.

Best to you too.

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: siderod on July 16, 2008, 07:20:14 PM
MY Acella is a beautiful static display model.  It derails through medium turnouts and the lights in the cars and the ends of the train a barely visible in total darkness.  I have not been able to reprogram the loco lights to work properly. 

Part of the problem is that I ASSUMED!  You know th old saying about when you assume.  I assumed that it would run on 9 inch radius track like all the other manufactures high speed.  I did not check this aspect out before buying  everything piecemeal.  The Acela should easily take 11 inch radius curves except for the fact that due to the design of the electrical pick up of the trucks the trucks can not wiggle or rotate slightly about the longitudinal axis and there is no simple fix to this.

Word of advice to others: check the product out carefully before you buy.  DO NOT ASSUME, as I did.

Best to All
Um, hows about Acela, it's just as bad as spelling Amtrak as Amtrack. Oh, and Bachmann Spectrum is the only company that produces an N scale Acela set. 'Other manufacturers' is referring to Bachmann, main manufacturer, or some other manufacturer unknown to me, or in a different scale.
- Joshua Bauer