News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Driver Wheel Size

Started by rowdyjoe, June 19, 2008, 12:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowdyjoe

Bach Man,
     What size were the driver wheels on the original 4-8-4 War Baby? 

Thanks,
Garry

RAM

If you are asking about Backmann's SP 4-8-4 called the war baby.  They are 80 inch.

rowdyjoe

I should have been more specific in asking for Driver Wheel size.  I'd like to know the driver diameter for a GS4  4-8-4. 

Are the drive wheels for the GS4 the same size as the GS6?  I appreciate everyone's help but, I'm still confused. 

Thanks,
Garry

richG

Again, from a 'Net search for "driver size GS4  4-8-4".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GS-4

Rich

SteamGene

Try looking at steamlocomotive.com.  I THINK the SP GS series is on there.  If so, it would have driver sizes of all the GS locos.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Ozzie21

The original GS design was knocked back by the war production board being a GS-4/5 passenger loco.The design was reverted back to the GS-2 design and the term General Service was implied in the application to the war production board. The major differences are no mars light, 73-1/2" drivers as opposed to 80" drivers for the GS-4/5, no side skirts. The original allocation was for 16 engines numbers 4460 to 4475 but as Lima started building them the war production board allocated six engines to the Western Pacific. The last engine of the SP batch was 4469 which entered service September 7 1943. These were locomotives thet formed the "Warbaby" class. This was the last new steam passenger locomotive bought by the SP. See  Hundmann publishing's Steam Locomotive Cyclopedia and the February 1997 article in Mainline Modeller.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia