News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Goin' the wrong way

Started by robman, June 21, 2008, 05:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robman

Hi  all. I do hope someone can shed some light on my problem. I recently had two Athearn SW1500 switchers given to me, one of which is ok, but the other is a pain in butt. First off it wouldn't run in one direction so I stripped it down, pulled the motor apart to check it out. Nothing wrong with brushes or comm that a good clean didn't fix but then the first drama. The darned thing ran in the opposite direction to all my other locos. This caused some severe head scratching (wood splinters in fingers).until I realized that I had inadvertently put the magnet in back to front. Solved that problem only to get this one. The loco runs a lot faster one way than the other and after a short time it stops but there is no sign of overheating or binding that I can find. BTW both of these locos have Ernst (or is it Earnst) low ratio drive gear sets. Sorry it's a bit long winded but I'd appreciate any help on why a motor goes better one way than the other. Cheers from over this side. Rob the Kiwi. PS. I buy Bachmann but keep getting others given to me.
Modeling over there over here

Tim

Rob

I think your loco needs new brushes and springs.

Running faster is an indication of light spring pressure on the brushes.

The loco was probably run in one direction most if it's life, causing uneven wear.

I suspect the gearing is fine and not the cause of your problem.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Tim on June 21, 2008, 05:46:52 AM
Rob

The loco was probably run in one direction most if it's life, causing uneven wear.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

No that's not it, It's nothing, it depends on your terminal or controller, how old is it?
If it is old enough, certain engines will run one way, other the other way. It's just how the current it for the locomotive, my locos. go the same way on my new bachmann controller, but on my stander old Life-Like controller, it has the DC ones going againest the DCC, which had an Amtrak colllision. Try switching it the other way, or getting a newer controller.
- Joshua Bauer

Paul M.

Rob

Tim Anders

Souderton, PA

I agree with Tim.  I believe brushes and other such parts can be bought direct from athearn.

www.athearn.com

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Guilford Guy

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on June 21, 2008, 12:02:23 PM
Rob

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

No that's not it, It's nothing, it depends on your terminal or controller, how old is it?
If it is old enough, certain engines will run one way, other the other way. It's just how the current it for the locomotive, my locos. go the same way on my new bachmann controller, but on my stander old Life-Like controller, it has the DC ones going againest the DCC, which had an Amtrak colllision. Try switching it the other way, or getting a newer controller.
That's not the problem. When you run on DC, all locomotives will travel in the same direction. If you turn the locomotive it will still go the same direction it had been going, which is the opposite of every other locomotive. If you switch the leads on the powerpack the same thing is still going to happen. Tim has it right.
Alex

robman

Hi guys. Thanks for all the useful input but as I stated (I think) I now have the loco running in the same direction as the others after turning the magnet around on the motor.  As for not going as quickly one way as the other I think I'll have a look at the brush spring tensions, the brushes them selves are in good shape. As far as my controller is concerned it is a locally made DC walk around hand held, about six months old, and all my other locos respond perfectly in either direction.
Once again ,thanks for your assistance, I'll keep you all posted. Rob the Kiwi,modeling over there over here.
Modeling over there over here

Dr EMD

Installing the Ernest gear kit may require the truck be swapped (I know for 6 axle trucks, not sure on the 4 axle version). The regeared truck will run backwards and needs to be changed.

I'm away from my data sheets, so someone may have to see theirs to make sure the trucks are correctly positioned.
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

Pacific Northern

Rob

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Better check your facts..........
Pacific Northern

Guilford Guy

Rob

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

I understand your trying to be helpful, but what help is it to him when you give him information that is only a guess, or completely wrong?
Alex