News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC with the Dynamis?

Started by hgcHO, June 20, 2008, 02:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgcHO

Mr. Bachmann: Can DC engine run on Dynamis control track and if so how? 

I have been spoiled using both an old DC and DCC engines on/with the E-Z Command.

HGC

Santa Fe buff

Only if you put a decoder in it.
- Joshua Bauer

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on June 20, 2008, 06:03:44 PM

He is asking if the Dynamis will run a DC engine as well as DCC. It appears it will not. I would prefer a system that would allow the user to run at least one DC engine as does the EZ DCC System.
Pacific Northern

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Pacific Northern on June 20, 2008, 06:35:15 PM
Quote from: Santa Fe buff on June 20, 2008, 06:03:44 PM

He is asking if the Dynamis will run a DC engine as well as DCC. It appears it will not. I would prefer a system that would allow the user to run at least one DC engine as does the EZ DCC System.
Oh, well then yeah, if it is DC, then it becomes just a wireless controler for the DC locomotive, just one at a time. Like a regular control allows one at a time.
- Joshua Bauer

hgcHO

Thanks for the replies.  The E-Z Command, button 10 has been assigned for DC.  The Dynamis does not mention in the instruction booklet about being able to run a DC engine.  I have tried several things but maybe best to ask Mr. Bachmann. 

I do believe that Pacific Northern is correct

HGC.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Dynamis does not have an analog address.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Stephen D. Richards

Quote from: the Bach-man on June 21, 2008, 12:00:06 AM
Dear All,
Dynamis does not have an analog address.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

All, to add to Mr. Bach-man's post, the instructions that come with the Dynamis state that the Dynamis system will not support DC operation.  Stephen

bernie7787

Dynamis User Guide Page 3
  DCC engines only. Damage may result if dc  engine placed on a track
  powered by Dynamis.
                                  bernie7787

Anthony P2

but can't you hook up a DC controller to the command station? see page 5 of manual.

richg

Quote from: Anthony P2 on August 01, 2010, 02:21:48 PM
but can't you hook up a DC controller to the command station? see page 5 of manual.

Dude, read the complete manual. That is  the DC power pack to power the Dynamis. Sigh.

Rich

Anthony P2

sorry. i'm new to DCC. i didn't know.

Joe323

It seems ironic to me that EZ Command has DC Capability but Dynamis does not.  Guess if I upgrade I'll have to put decoders in the few anaogs I have left.

Pacific Northern

When I upgraded from my E-Z Command I chose to purchase a Digitrax system. The Digitrax system allows me to continue to run one DC engine along with my DCC engines.

I have far too many old DC engines to convert to DCC.

I now have two seperate systems on my layout. The old E-Z Command is the power for my mining and loging line which is mainly Shay powered but also has Heisler and a 2-6-6-2 logging engine. Some of these are DC powered so I can run both.

Main line now with Digitrax also runs both DC and DCC.

DC engines are kept on specific CD only tracks with toggles to power off on both lines.
Pacific Northern

Jim Banner

I suspect that most people who upgrade to Dynamis already have a fleet of DCC locomotives and few if any dc locomotives.  When first starting out in DCC, the situation is usually reversed with the railroader having a number of dc locomotives but few DCC ones.  Thus the logic of the starter set having dc capabilities and the more advanced set lacking them.  Besides, when it comes to features, walk around wireless control trumps dc capabilities any day.

Like Pacific Northern, I went with Digitrax.  But unlike Pacific Northern, I don't remember the last time I ran a dc locomotive with it.  It is not that I don't have some dc locomotives.  It is just that I like the DCC ones so much better.  Someday I will finish converting all the ones that merit decoders and give away all those that don't.

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Pacific Northern

Jim

Giving away DC locomotives!

Not a bad idea.

Will discuss that with some of the members of the local model railroad club.

Would like to ensure the engines go to those who would use them.

Pacific Northern