Santa Fe Trouble! Help Mr. Bach Man!

Started by lilwaffleboy, June 20, 2008, 06:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilwaffleboy

Hey everyone! I was running my new Santa Fe DCC Equiped locomotive by Bachmann really slowly, and then, all of a sudden, it stopped, switched to reverse, backed up pretty fast, stopped, then continued its slow speed forward. I haven't done anything to the engine, and I am using the Bachmann E-Z Command Control system. Does the Santa Fe just move backwards to avoid getting stuck? Or is it a factory problem? :'(

Thanks,
 lilwaffleboy

Santa Fe buff

Oh my god, oh my god!- just kidding.
I would call the service department. I does sound like a factory error. By the way, is it making any noises? And is your track A-OK?
- Joshua Bauer

lilwaffleboy

It makes sound when it is moving, but is silent when it stops. The track is fine because I have an Acela Express running on the same track, and it works fine. I feel so unlucky because of the problems with my acela express dummy with one set of wheels not turning, and now this. By the way, the Santa Fe goes regular speed, then slows down, then speeds up again constatly. >:(  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: lilwaffleboy on June 20, 2008, 06:27:33 PM
It makes sound when it is moving, but is silent when it stops. The track is fine because I have an Acela Express running on the same track, and it works fine. I feel so unlucky because of the problems with my acela express dummy with one set of wheels not turning, and now this. By the way, the Santa Fe goes regular speed, then slows down, then speeds up again constantly. >:(  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
DEAD SPOTS!!!!
I hate those, I thought it might be, but I decided not to. Make sure every last piece of track is perfectly together and in-line, clean your track, and engine wheels, replace pieces over 20yrs old, and increase throttle in the places it dies.
This is posible because some Bachmann locomotives' engines are more sensitive then others on the track. That is all.
- Joshua Bauer

lilwaffleboy

I dont think it is dead spots because I got all of my track and trains about 5 days ago, and the problem started from the very first run.

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: lilwaffleboy on June 20, 2008, 06:48:21 PM
I dont think it is dead spots because I got all of my track and trains about 5 days ago, and the problem started from the very first run.
Is your track nailed down?
- Joshua Bauer

lilwaffleboy

It is the E-Z Track System, and it is on carpet.

Guilford Guy

I don't think this has much to do with dead track or type of track. IIRC we had a case at our club, that whenever a certain loco (I think it was an Atlas S2) hit a section of rail, that may have been slightly dirt, but none-the-less, caused the power to stop flowing to the decoder momentarily and sent the locomotive careening backwards. I think it may have been a problem with how the CV's were set up, but you may want to wait for Hunt's reply.
Alex

lilwaffleboy

Thank You! I will cleen my tracks and see if the problem is solved.  ;D

kevin2083

Quote from: Guilford Guy on June 20, 2008, 11:54:06 PM
I don't think this has much to do with dead track or type of track. IIRC we had a case at our club, that whenever a certain loco (I think it was an Atlas S2) hit a section of rail, that may have been slightly dirt, but none-the-less, caused the power to stop flowing to the decoder momentarily and sent the locomotive careening backwards. I think it may have been a problem with how the CV's were set up, but you may want to wait for Hunt's reply.
Same thing happened to my 44 tonner before the decoder gave out. It was hard to do much switching without breaking a coupler...

Quote from: lilwaffleboy on June 20, 2008, 06:48:21 PM
Even 'new' track (and wheels) will have some oxidation on it- you don't know how long it had been sitting on a shelf before getting to you.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Santa Fe buff

Sorry, meant to reply yesterday, the website was giving me that session error sign again. Anyway, if it's on the carpet, try slightly pushing and pulling and bending the turns during the locomotive's run. Sometimes my F40PH stops dead, I knock a turn around and it fires back up. But do this not to disconnect and to not bend the connecters.
- Joshua Bauer

lilwaffleboy

Thanks for all of the replies! I am very busy today, but I will clean the trains and track as soon as I get home.

Paul M.

Quote from: lilwaffleboy on June 20, 2008, 08:39:27 PM
It is the E-Z Track System, and it is on carpet.

CLEAN THE TRACK!!!

You can use a Walthers Brite Boy track eraser or the equivalent, or rail cleaning fluid. Another good thing to clean track with is white vinegar.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Guilford Guy

Alex

PRRThomas11

I think your train is possessed.

Just kidding. Oil the engine and clean the track with that Lionel Cleaner. You'll be amazed at what that track eraser can do.
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World"