News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Acela mileage

Started by Woody Elmore, June 21, 2008, 09:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

If you go to the New York Times website for today, Saturday, June 21st, you'll find an interesting and informative article about Amtrak service (in light of the gasoline  problem.) It mentions that Acela trains have already logged one million miles of service. It also discusses the shortage of Amtrack equipment and the large number of cars out of service with no money for repairs. also, it mentions that the regular Amfleet ccars are 30 years old and could probably be replaced. The article also deals with whether or not long distance trains should still be running.

here's the link.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/automobiles/22OLDER.htm
l

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Woody Elmore on June 21, 2008, 09:52:39 AM
If you go to the New York Times website for today, Saturday, June 21st, you'll find an interesting and informative article about Amtrak service (in light of the gasoline  problem.) It mentions that Acela trains have already logged one million miles of service. It also discusses the shortage of Amtrack equipment and the large number of cars out of service with no money for repairs. also, it mentions that the regular Amfleet ccars are 30 years old and could probably be replaced. The article also deals with whether or not long distance trains should still be running.

here's the link.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/automobiles/22OLDER.htm
l

I believe that the government is losing money for Amtrak and public transportation due to the war, after all, a war does a toll on both countries. Out here, CTA and Metra suck up the Chicago funding, so that Metra expansion to my town is going to be delayed. Only because CTA decided to replace 3 miles of track by using the funding for the next 5 years, and now CTA and Metra need funding because CTA got greedy and didn't want to wait to replace a 25 year old track, that has 5-10 more years left on it. Oh, and not to mention that CTA derailment, 5 injured, and CTA got in trouble, they set a wrong switch! Oh, and I hate it when people call AMTRAK- AmtraCk. Sorry, but you really have to spell it right.
- Joshua Bauer