News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Drawbar length 2-8-0

Started by RDG_Rich, June 21, 2008, 02:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDG_Rich

I am working on a project that requires a longer drawbar for my Spectrum Consolidation. I need about 1/8" more in length. Does anyone know if I could swap out a drawbar from another Spectrum loco to get the length, or will I just have to scratchbuild it?

Thanks

brokemoto

The following SPECTRUM steam locomotives share the same drawbar: 

2-8-0
2-6-6-2 USRA
4-8-2 USRA light
4-8-2 USRA heavy with USRA tender.

That drawbar appears to be twenty-six millimetres in length.  I type 'appears' because I measured it with a ruler, not a pair of calipers.

The USRA heavy 4-8-2 with Vanderbilt tender does have a longer drawbar.  It appears to be anywhere from thirty-two to thirty-four millimetres in length.  Again, I measured it with a ruler, not a pair of calipers.

Further, I do have a drawbar from the consolidated sitting around, as I had a consolidated develop problems that resulted in its being good only for parts.  I have two of the USRA heavy 4-8-2s, one with each type of tender, as well as a separate Vanderbilt.  I did not disassemble the locomotives or tender,  so the ruler measurement of the heavy mountain is even more crude than the one for the consolidated.

Just in case it crossed your mind, the drawbar on the LL Van Sweringen berkshire is twenty-two millimetres, so it is no help to you.

If this is who I think it is, (or even if it ain't ) are you trying to get the old Standard Line I-9 (or is it an I-10?, I forget, now) onto the SPECTRUM chassis?  I would like to see the results, as I would not mind a good running I-9 (although that out of scale Elesco feedwater heater will also have to go).  I considered the possibility some time back, but as Reading Company is not one of my primary roads, I never even did a test fit.

RDG_Rich

Guilty as charged.

Sorry about the long lag time, I have been away for about a month without "real" internet access.

I have the fit problems licked, but the rigged drawbar needs replaced.