News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question Regarding N Scale Acela Set

Started by Earle Baldwin, June 23, 2008, 07:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earle Baldwin

I recently purchased the N scale Acela set and am excitedly awaiting its arrival.  My young son and I are big fans of the train and he has been asking me for a model of it.  Our primary scale/gauge is three rail O; however, given its combination of high pricing and questionable reliability, Lionel's O scale model was eliminated from consideration.  From what I have seen and read about it, the Bachmann N scale version appears to offer a combination of accurate detail and dependable operating characteristics.  The added benefit of attractive pricing made my choice easier.  I'm hoping the set can eventually be used as the basis for a modestly sized contemporary layout to supplement our O gauge activities.

Since the set contains the two power cars, bistro, first class, end business and one business class car, that leaves two additional business class cars to be added to model a prototypically correct consist.  Would anyone be kind enough to tell me if the separate sale cars are numbered differently so as not to conflict with the business car contained in the set?  If so, what are the specific car numbers I should be looking for?  Trainworld in Brooklyn appears to have the best price so I'll probably get them there.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Earle  8)

Conrail Quality

The set comes with two power cars (non-powered), one cafe (powered), one business car, and one first class car; so you would need to get two more business cars and one end-business car for a prototypical consist. Each car is numbered separately, and as far as I am aware of, the separate-sale business cars come with different numbers than the one in the set.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Earle Baldwin

Hi, Timothy.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the contents of the set.  Your information will be a big help as I complete the consist.

I saw your tag line about being a proud electric modeler.  I'm a juice fan, myself.  As I stated in my original thread, I'm primarily an O gauger.  Thankfully, O gauge is blessed with models of many electric prototypes and I have been able to acquire quite a few of them.  In N scale, I will probably be getting the HHP8 and an Amfleet consist to operate alongside the Acela.   

Thanks again!

Bob

mathmatika

Please excuse the intrusion - I am trying to contact Earle Baldwin, but I couldn't get forum the PM to work. Please PM me.

Modification=> Dear Earle, please email me regarding photographs you left in a public folder on Google's Picasa - my forum would like to use them. Thanks!

Conrail Quality

The PM feature doesn't work; it never has.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

mathmatika

Thanks for the information Timothy - Earle may email me if he wishes.

daniel_leavitt2000

The set is very nice but if you plan on making a layout using the Acela, you may want to pick up a copy of the Mar/April 2007 issue of N SCale Magazine which covers tips and tricks on how to make the model perform better as well as prototype information

Earle Baldwin

Thanks to all for the information.  The set arrived.  I tested it and am very impressed by it.  It appears to be of very high quality.

Hi, Mathmatika.

I haven't logged in for a few weeks so I didn't see your post.  Which pictures would you like to use?  I don't recall posting anything to the site you mentioned.  Someone else may have put some of my photos there.

Let me know.

Best regards,

earle