News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

British colors

Started by glennk28, March 03, 2007, 09:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennk28

I know that there are some British modelers out there--does anyone know of a (preferably US) source of British Railways colors? I would prefer Floquil.  I need a bottle of "Great Westerrn Cream".  This seems to be close to the cream color that San Francisco Municipal Railway ("Muni") used on their cars.  I am rebuilding an LGB New Orleans car to as close as I can get to a Muni car, green and cream.

Thanks in advance.

Seasaltchap

Glennk28: I have not found comparable colours in the US. The UK maker of the genuine shades for the British Companies is Phoenix Precision Paints at www.phoenix-paints.co.uk, and they are available generally at good model shops in the UK.

What you are looking for is part of a UK scratch builders shelf of goodies, and they have to go to the UK for supplies. Phoenix Precision Paints had a bad fire in 2005 that completely destroyed their works. They had complications rebuilding causing a temporary move to another location: then Chris had an emergency appendix operation. They were hoping to be back in full production by Dec'05

Try Chris Stapleton at Phoenix Paints in the UK, Sales@phoenix-paints.co.uk

I am sure if you wanted to be the US agent for "Muni" colours, they would fit you up too.

Regards
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

rogertra

IIRC, Floquil at one time, possibly in the 1950s, tried to break into the UK market but without success.  At thet time "Humbrol" were THE UK model paint company.

glennk28

Thanks for the answers--are there US sources for these paints?  I hate to go thru all the hassle to get thru mail order from UK.  gj

Seasaltchap

glennk28 : It is useful to have a Paypal Account. They will transmit to anyone with an e-mail address. - that is how easy it can be.

Regards

Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

SteamGene

Shouldn't that be British "colours"?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

glennk28

Sea--I have a PP acct, but prefer to do business with a card.  It's the delay and getting things like that thru customs. 

Gend--thanks for the correction, I forgot that I want Colours, not colors. 

Colorado

I would have thought the Muni color was very close. I have been to the Tram museum in CA and am familiar with GWR colours as well.

The extra sunshine in CA may well have bleached them out a bit!

tiny

I would love to see you post a pix of your "2 man iron mouster" Here when your done with it, I lived in SF as a kid, And remeber them well!!..
i made some cream color pant by mixen yellow & white, lots white, & very, very small amout of yellow.......good luck!!!

DIRECTOR OF IMPORTANT STUFF