News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question on scales.

Started by Metallus2000, June 26, 2008, 08:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metallus2000

I recently purchsed what I thought was a g scale station online at a good deal, weel it looks like HO scale.  The guy claimed that 1/32 scale was G scale...can someone post the scale sizes from n to G...or point me where I can find?

johnd

Do a google search on Model Railroad scales. It will keep you busy reading all day!

richG

CG04

Just look over to the left of this page and click on FAQ

Guilford Guy

There is now G scale. F scale is 1:20.3, which Bachmann and some other companies make, 1:22.5 is LGB, 1:24 is Hartland, 1:29 is USA Trains, and Aristo Craft, 1:32 is Marklin and some other companies. These all run on the same gauge track. 1:32 is the proper scale for standard gauge trains, but 1:29 is far more common. 1:20.3 is the proper scale for 3ft gauge trains. 1:22.5 is the proper scale for Meter Gauge equipment.
Alex

Metallus2000

Guilford Guy...thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Jim Banner

Quote from: Guilford Guy on June 26, 2008, 01:44:56 PM
...  1:22.5 is the proper scale for Meter Gauge equipment.

Actually, the "proper" scale for metre gauge is 1:22.2 based on 1000/45 = 22.222  (real world track gauge divided by scale world track gauge.)  As far as I can figure, the 1:22.5 ratio came from dividing 1 metre by 1-3/4 inches.  A lot of older books listed gauge I as 1-3/4", probably a hang over from the time before North Americans learned about the metric system.  Speaking of hangovers, I think all of this talk about scales and gauges is starting to give me one.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Guilford Guy

Alex

Jim Banner

Quote from: Guilford Guy on June 26, 2008, 03:27:28 PM
Oops, my bad, sorry.

GG, I did not mean to imply it was your bad or anyone's bad.  Just a comment on where I think 1:22.5 might have come from and why I think 22.2 is actually closer.

Part of this comes from trying to get my mind around 0-scale.  0-gauge is 1.250" which should make 0-scale 56.5/1.250 =  1:45.2.  British 0-scale is usually 1:45 while American 0-scale is usually 1:48.  One is a little large while the other is a bit small.  Then we get into 0n30 where the ratio is 30/.65 = 1:46.2, which is neither of the 0-scales.  Arghh!

For Metallus 2000, if he measures the height in inches of a door on his model, then divides that into 84, he will come up with a number pretty close to the scale.  This is based on real world doors being about 7 feet tall.  If the number is between about 20 and 32, then the station is G-scale.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

az2rail

Even though 1/32 is G gauge, it is the smallest size of all the different sizes connected with G. A 1/32 building will look to small next to a 1/20.3 0r a 1/22 scaled item.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

scottychaos

"G-scale" and "G-gauge" are often used as generic terms for "Large Scale"..
when used in the generic sense "G-scale" means "any trains that operate on 45mm track, regardless of the the actual scale."

using "G-scale" and "G-gauge" in this way is technically incorrect..but it still happens all the time. "Large Scale" is the more proper term in the generic sense.

There is a real "G-scale", and it refers to 1/22.5 scale trains only..
those are models of (generally) European meter gauge prototypes running on 45mm track.

A list of "Large scale" scales that all run on 45mm track.

1/32 scale.
The smallest models running on 45mm track, of the largest prototypes.
the correct scale/gauge combination for standard gauge on 45mm track.
not as common as 1/29 scale, seen mostly in Live Steam,
and MTH..

1/29 scale
technically incorrect scale for standard gauge on 45mm track,
but is commonly used for American standard gauge prototypes on 45mm track. USA trains and Aristocraft make modern diesels and some steam in 1/29 scale..its the most common "Large scale" scale for standard gauge steam and diesels. The models are slightly larger than the same prototype in 1/32 scale.

1/24 scale.
models generally represent narrow gauge prototypes.
but not the correct scale for 3-foot gauge on 45mm track.
1/24 is generally a dying scale these days.

1/22.5 scale
the REAL G-scale..correct scale/gauge combination for meter gauge on 45mm track.
mostly represented by the models of European meter gauge prototypes made by LGB.

1/20.3 scale
Also known as Fn3 scale, the correct scale/gauge combination for 3-foot gauge on 45mm track.
Bachmann's spectrum steam engines are in this scale.
Very common and popular scale for narrow gauge (3-foot gauge specifically) modeling in "Large Scale"

7/8n2 scale
1/13.7 scale.
The largest models running on 45mm track, of the smallest prototypes.
The correct scale/gauge combination for 2-foot gauge on 45mm track.
Maine 2-footers and industrial 2-footers are modeled in this scale.
not much available commercially..its a "scratchbuilders scale"..

Many people will say "this is a G-scale train" or structure, and have no idea what the actual scale is..its especially a problem with structures.
Train shops and e-bay sellers in particular dont understand how all these different scales can exist in the "Large Scale" world..

Just be aware that if you see something sold as "G-scale" it will probably run on your track, but still..there is a huge difference (in size) between a 1/32 scale structure and the exact same structure in 1/20.3 scale..
(1/32 being much smaller than 1/20.3)
so you really need to be aware of your scale..

most people generally pick one scale, based on the kinds of trains they like best, then try to match structures/figures/automobiles/bridges/scenery/etc. to the same scale as the trains..

Scot

smcgill

Yes sir !  ::)
Couldn't say it any better!! :P
Sean

Woody Elmore

The Aristo 1:29 proportion comes from enlarging 1:87 HO plans three times.

terry2foot

Quote from: Jim Banner on June 26, 2008, 06:30:24 PM
[

0-gauge is 1.250" which should make 0-scale 56.5/1.250 =  1:45.2.  British 0-scale is usually 1:45 while American 0-scale is usually 1:48.  One is a little large while the other is a bit small.  Then we get into 0n30 where the ratio is 30/.65 = 1:46.2, which is neither of the 0-scales.  Arghh!

Jim,

British O scale is 7mm to the foot or 1/43.5 scale.

US On30 actually scales out as a 31 and a bit track gauge because the scale is 1/48th or quarter inch to the foot.

Terry2foot

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer