News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding Sound to the 4-4-0?

Started by jcater, June 21, 2008, 03:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcater

So, I have not looked inside my 4-4-0 yet so maybe this question is self evident BUT I am wondering if the decoder that comes factory installed is a plug-n-play type where I could just "plug in" a sound decoder say from Tsunami??  If so, how hard is it to do?
Thanks,
John

BTW...love the way she looks AND runs!!

Tim

JCater

You can fit a micro Tsunami, or a "Loksound" micro, without changing anything.

If you use the "Tsunami" you will need to buy a cable with an 8 pin plug, and a speaker.
A 1" speaker will do.

If you want one of the new hi-bass speakers, the Bachmann circuit board will have to go.

You will then have to hard-wire the decoder.

The cost is about the same for either decoder.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Mr. F.

Quote from: Tim on June 21, 2008, 05:03:08 PM

If you want one of the new hi-bass speakers, the Bachmann circuit board will have to go.

You will then have to hard-wire the decoder.

That's interesting.
So if you wish to install a decoder that doesn't have the NRMA 8 pin plug attached you can just remove the circuit board from the locomotive and just hard wire it? ???
I assume you can do this to any DCC ready locomotive?
The reason I ask is I have a DCC ready Climax and a Tsunami decoder but have not got around to installing it yet. With the limited space the removal of the circuit board would make an easier job of installing the decoder and the speaker.  :D

Tim

Mr F

You can hardwire any Bachmann DCC ready loco.
just make absolutely sure to identify all the wires to the circuit board
before you remove it!

The climax wires are all the same color (Black in mine) making the job difficult.
Don't be fooled by the number of wires, there will be two for each light, two for the motor,
and four track (power) wires, all are polarity sensitive.

You will also need to install resistors (680-750 ohm) for the led's in the headlight & backup light.

Replacement cables for the decoder, are available with an eight pin connector
on one end and a jst connector on the other.  This will allow you to retain the circuit board
and still install a micro Tsunami.  Removal of the capacitors and chokes is a good idea.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA