Maryland and Pennsylvania HO Clerestory Coaches

Started by charlii, June 28, 2008, 11:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlii

Couple photos of my scratch built Ma & Pa Clerestory passenger cars, less decals:

(Scratch built from basswood and brass from drawings by J. Harold Geissel)
At present I have built 10 Penn Green and 6 Tuscan Red in HO scale.
5 Penn Green and 5 Tuscan Red in N scale.

Copy of drawings by J. Harold Geissel from 60's copy of Model Railroader

HO scale Ma & Pa Baggage cars in process of being built, less truss rods, end rails, etc and decals.
I will post new photo's when completed.

Ma & Pa #35

Ma & Pa #44

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Santa Fe buff

I went down the pictures and saw an N scale bobber!
Nice Work!
~Santa Fe
- Joshua Bauer

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on June 28, 2008, 03:51:16 PM
I went down the pictures and saw an N scale bobber!
Nice Work!
~Santa Fe

Santa Fe
??

charlii

Excellent work
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

Great looking cars!

How long are they, and what era do they represent?

Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Atlantic Central

Bob,

To tell the short version of a long complex story, the Ma & Pa was formed in 1901. Some of the passenger equipment was aquired used - built in 1875 to 1890, but cars just like these models where bought new between 1902 and 1913. Coaches #11 thru #20 where built by A.C.F., Jackson and Sharp Works, Wilmington, Delaware.

One of them, car #20, is still in service on the Strasburg Rail Road today. Three of these coaches and several of baggage and baggage/mail cars served in regular service right to the end of operations in 1955, only #20 and baggage mail car #35 (B&O museum) were saved.

They where all 56'-4" long over the platforms, body length 50'. The curves and grades of the Ma & Pa would not have allowed anything longer.

Sheldon

charlii

Quote from: Yampa Bob on June 29, 2008, 12:59:19 AM
Great looking cars!

How long are they, and what era do they represent?

Bob

Car length is 50', (coupler to coupler actual 56').
Era early 1900's, - 1955.
#20 went to Strasburg RR in 1958 where it is at present time.

Yampa Bob

Sheldon and Charlii:

They would fit right into my roster of shorter coaches.

As you know, I am fascinated with these cars, but have a lot to learn about them so I have some more questions.

1. They appear to be wood sides, weren't the "woodies" banned at some time? I notice on my Roundhouse Overland sets, the coach has steel reinforcements on the sides.

2.  What was the seating capacity of each coach? (64 or 96) I was just going by the windows, 16.

3.  Were they generally classified as "Overlands" or did J&S have another name for them?

I particularly like the "Penn Green", would that look appropriate lettered as Denver & Rio Grande Western?

Charlii: You mentioned "scratch built", are they from kits or separate components from various sources?  With the demand for smaller coaches, you could probably sell these if you are so inclined. 

Also, I would like to have larger copies of the Geissel drawings,  if you can post them.

Thanks
Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Atlantic Central

Bob,

They where never completely "banned", certianly not before 1955, but new construction of wood underframes was prohibited and interchange was later restricted. Not sure of the dates on that.

Many such cars had steel reinforced underframes when built or added latter, depending on the date of construction.

To most they are know as "Jackson & Sharp" cars, even cars built by other builders or railroad shops where to almost identical plans.

The "Overland" name is a SP/UP thing if I recall.

D&RGW cars where yellow.

I will look to see if I have the drawings, if so I will send you a set.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Bob,

One more thing, I know there are lots of great tourist lines out west where you are, but if you are ever east you should make Strasburg a must see. Trains run every hour, every day, most of the year. All pulled by steam. In the busy summer season trains run every 1/2 hour and pass at siding. ONLY place left in America where a regularly scheduled steam train passes another regularly scheduled steam train!

Sheldon

japasha

Sheldon is correct on visiting Strasburg. Even my wife was impressed and wanted a second trip. Across the road is the Pennsylvania State Railroad Museum and you can see at least one example from the Pennsylvania RR steam days. Plenty of fun there, the Toy Train Museum and Strasburg has a good hobby shop on board. You can even rent a coaboose to stay in overnight.

SteamGene

It's also in the heart of Amish country, so plenty of buggies and such.  The only problem I have with it is the spiel is a bit hookey in places.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jsmvmd

Dear Charlii,

Gorgeous!

You are quite a craftsman!

A client told me they stayed in one of the converted cabeese, and did not like it at all.

However, I was thinking of moving one to a place in the country to make a bachelor pad. Just the ticket for an old grizzley.

Would certainly advise a visit. Realize, though, the trip is 4.5 miles out and 4.5 m back, I believe. A very nice part of the trip is when the engine is un-coupled and taken to the "back" of the train for the return trip as there is no turn-around. You can get some very nice close up pix.

Another nice trip is the Western MD Scenic RR in Cumberland, MD. On that trip you will bet cinders in your eyes and hair!  Just remember to look down and blink to get the cinders out of your eyes.

Of course, the EBT gives you a variety of trips on live steam, diesel and electric trolleys. A must see for everyone who comes to the Mid Atlantic states!
Best Wishes,

Jack

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: SteamGene on June 29, 2008, 09:21:22 PM
It's also in the heart of Amish country, so plenty of buggies and such. 
Gene

And don't forget the shoo-fly pie. ...  ;)

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: japasha on June 29, 2008, 08:10:54 PM
Sheldon is correct on visiting Strasburg. Even my wife was impressed and wanted a second trip. Across the road is the Pennsylvania State Railroad Museum and you can see at least one example from the Pennsylvania RR steam days. Plenty of fun there, the Toy Train Museum and Strasburg has a good hobby shop on board. You can even rent a coaboose to stay in overnight.

The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania has lots of relics of PRR steam, as it holds the equipment the railroad itself preserved.