News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

k-27 pilot

Started by Nataraj, June 28, 2008, 04:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nataraj

Hello,

Ok, so I just ordered myself a k-27 from trainworld for $699! now... they only had 2 versions, and both had plows on the front.. and I couldn't resist one of my favorite steam locos for that good of a price. So I bought it. So, does the parts department sell a regular pilot I can buy so my K 27 dosnt have to run with a plow all summer?

Thanks,
Nataraj

az2rail

I don't know if they are available yet or not, but the catalog shows that road pilots and switcher pilots "will be" available at some time. Are you sure that there is not a pilot under the plow?

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

glennk28

no--you will have to disassemble the whole front end.  The pilots include the pilot beams and several other parts.  Just keep track of which screw comes out of where.  gj

Nataraj

Thanks. If its in the catalog my LHS should have no problem obtaining it. Im going there tomorrow anyways, so hopefully I can place a pre-order, or if not just have them call me when it becomes available.

Thanks.

az2rail

Good luck with the hunt. If it helps, the part number for the road pilot is 88016, and 88015 for the switching pilot.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Nataraj

VirginiaCentral

Nataraj, there might be guys/gals out there who would be willing to trade a regular pilot for your snowplow pilot.  Try some of the other bulletin boards like LSOL.com (Large Scale Online) or MyLargeScale.com.  I have seen many requests for the snow plow pilot.  You might even be able to get a premium out of it. Some desperate person might be willing to pay the postage, or more! Let the bidding for Nataraj's pilot begin!  :)  Good luck, Nataraj.

Jerry
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

FordcvP71

Isnt it just 455 and 464 with the plows and the rest with switcher pilots?

Do any of them come with the road pilot? Thats the one I'm after as its what the real 464 currently has

Jon D. Miller

Item #83097 and #83098 have road pilots. Item #83097 has the green boiler, engine number 455,  and lettered for Denver & Rio Grande Western.  Item # 83098 is same locomotive, painted unlettered.

Not sure what variation(s) may have the switcher pilot.

JD

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Cascade Northern

Denver & Rio Grande Western roster for K-27

Loco  - Pilot Type
#450 - Road
#452 - Switcher
#453 - Switcher
#454 - Road
#456 - Switcher
#461 - Road
#462 - Plow
#463 - Road
#464 - Road

All the info is from http://ghostdepot.com/rg/rolling%20stock/locomotive/drgw1939roster.htm

Charlie Mutschler

Pilots, like tool boxes, were frequently changed as needed by the D&RGW.  For anyone doing serious attempts to model a specific K-27 (or any other prototype locomotive) finding a set of photos for the time period you are modeling is essential.  For example, consider D&RGW No. 452.  Road pilot in 1931, switcher pilot in 1935 and 1940, road pilot in 1947.  Pilot tool box in the above photos.  Np. 453:  Road pilot and pilot tool box in 1933, 1937, 1938; road pilot but no tool box in 1939; Pilot snowplow un-notched for ends of pilot beam in 1940(on RGS);  with high 'bucker plow (no coupler) on Silverton  branch in May, 1942; road pilot and no pilot tool box in July, 1942; switcher pilot, no pilot tool box, and firehose box on cab roof (a Durango special feature) plus dog house in 1947.  All images from O'Berry's book (see below). 

The reality is, most model manufacturers make something accurate for detail to most of a series, and the modeler has to do the final detailing himself.  You have to hand it to Bachmann, who have really made it much easier for the Fn3 (1:20.3) modeler to model any of the seven K-27's rebuilt with the outside canted cylinders - even to doing the hard work for RGS 455 after its 1947 rebuild.  But, there's still plenty you can do to make your mudhen distinctively yours. 

I recommend Dennis O'Berry's book. _The Mudhens:  A Photographic History_ as a good starting point.  The Denver Public Library has on-line access to photos by Otto Perry and Robert W. Richardson that should be very helpful.  Happy researching, and happy modeling. 

Charlie Mutschler
-30-

glennk28

In addition to O'Berry's book, the Grandt Narrow Gauge Pictorials #1 and #11 have a lot of K-27 pix.

Meanwhile, if you are removing the plow pilot, you will have two holes on eadh side of the smokebox where the plow brackets were.  Trackside Details has a pair of cast brass brackets that just fit--even though they came out a couple of years before the loco--#TD-135 for about $3.50 a pair.

Nataraj

ok... K-27 arrived today! Great looking engine!! I have 2 questions though ...

1) how do I know if my K has the counterweight issue ?
2) how do i removie the plow... I tried but was unsuccessful

Thanks  

Nataraj

ok..... figured out the plow. Too bad bachmann didn't mount it on a regular road pilot...it would have made things a lot easier.  Now, for the counterweight issue... how do I know if I am affected? Should I run my loco, or does it need to be sent back to bachmann for repairs?

Charlie Mutschler

Actually, the prototype had to do the same conversion - remove the road pilot, and install the plow.  Which is why in later years, the D&RGW and RGS tended to have some plow equipped mikes year round, and others with pilots.  As I said before, there a re a lot of photos of these locomotives, so some research for the particular locomotive and time period may be helpful. 
Charlie