News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Figure-8 Layout

Started by LGBfan17, June 28, 2008, 07:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LGBfan17

My parents want me to build a figure-8 layout with my McKinley Explorer set.  I currently have the tracks that come with the set, plus 24 additional 9-inch nickel silver straight tracks and a 90-degree crossing.  What additional tracks do I need to make the figure-8?

Guilford Guy

Alex

Yampa Bob

Fan:

Using the 90 degree crossing you have, you will end up with an elongated figure 8, a little over 9 feet long.  That's fine if you are going to just lay the track on the floor or a larger table.  But if you plan to use a standard 4' X 8' sheet for your layout, you need to tighten up the loops by using a 45 degree crossing.

This would require a total of 28 curved sections, 12 more than you currently have. It should then barely fit on the 8 foot sheet.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

LGBfan17

Quote from: Guilford Guy on June 28, 2008, 07:40:35 PM
8, 22" radius curves

I did some additional research on this using a demo of the AnyRail track planning software, and I need 4x 3-inch straight tracks in addition to the extra curved sections.

This came from an old HO scale book I have:

QuoteIn Atlas turnouts and crossings the intersecting rails are notched so they do not come into contact with each other.  The areas around the crossing rails are molded in plastic, which holds the rails in place so they cannot short electrically or shift mechanically and cause trouble.

Does the Bachmann 90-degree crossing have these features?  Atlas HO true track is cheaper than Bachmann ez track, and I dont want to have to buy Atlas unless the Bachmann crossing has same features as Atlas.

Yampa Bob

The Bachmann EZ Track crossings have insulated sections and will work fine for your figure 8, with no shorting of the rails

Depending on the length of the crossing legs, you may have to cut special length straight pieces to complete the figure.

Atlas Code 100 sectional pieces (non-roadbed) are compatible with EZ track, and are made in 3/4", 1", 1-1/4", 1-1/2", 2", and 2-1/2".  They are very handy to fill in tight spaces, but you then need to add a roadbed under the pieces. 

Good luck
Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.