News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large loop questions

Started by Ickisrulz, March 04, 2007, 10:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ickisrulz

I would like to set up a large loop running between my sons' rooms and going though the wall.  This will end up being about 78 feet of track.

I'd like to run 3 or 4 Thomas engines (Thomas, Percy, Gordon, James) with each pulling a few cars.

Will someone please let me know if running this number of engines on a single track at the same time is even possible and what power pack I'd need.

I have done a little research and somewhat understand I need to run power through wires to various points of a very large loop so there will be equal distribution.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Adam

Rail-Runner192

Dear Adam,
I have used all my Thomas trains(Thomas,Toby,Henry,James,and Percy)on one track and they worked fine. I one track inside of the other. I use a Bachmann Controller(It came with the percy and troublesome trucks)and on the inside line I use a Hornby Controller. Hope this helps.

Toby 722
Seth
Ready for New Items!!

sodorlad

the laws of phsyics means that you shouldn't have to use more than one power clip, other than if you need to power a siding that the current won't ever flow in.

Even though it is certainly possible to run all your trains at once, they will run slower than if use on their own and also because of each locos different sized motor, wheels and different speeds, they will probably end up crashing into each other.

Buy more track and have more than one circuit!
Botheration...

James Patterson

Or take a piece of plywood and mark the track plan with electrical tape (I've done this before ;) ).  Insert plastic insulated rail joiners every so often (mark on plywood with white tape). Place switches (not the track ones, the control ones) on the plywood. Then attach one end of the switches electronics to the controler and the other to the spaces inbetween the rail joiners. Then place trains on seperate blocks (the spaces inbetween the rail joiners) and turn up the power. What? Nothing's happened?  Turn a switch up and a train on that block will move and ONLY that train. It prevents collisons and allows you to put  trains and cars in sidings without crashing other trains! Altough complex I have wired a model railroad (at a club not one of my own) like that before.

The Chaz Storm

This topic is really old, over a year old for that matter.  Why in the world are you posting in it?  I am sure it has been taken care of too...