News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Inglenook - Uncoupling Magnets

Started by rcsailor199, June 30, 2008, 09:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcsailor199

Good Morning:

Was wondering if anyone can give me some guidelines on use and what to use for uncoupling magnets using the EZ Track System.  I have a bunch of N Scale EZ Track sitting around and enough to build a Inglenook Sidings Shunting Puzzle http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/sw-inglenook.html and was wondering what in the world to use? I cannot seem to find an answer for use with EZ Track. 

I have seen the Microtrains 308 undertrack magnet but I have also read somewhere of magnets that can be purchased at Radio Shack.  My concern is being under the bed of the EZ Track will they be strong enough?  Is there a magnet that works on top of the EZ Track?  Sorry these are probably very basic quesitons but have never done this before yet.  Any and all suggestions welcomed please.    ???

Thanks

Mark

rcsailor199

WOW!  I was really hoping to hear from some of you who are in the know.   :'(

I have been browsing sites over the course of several days and was wondering if the Micro-Trains Magne-Matic Uncoupler would work with this application on EZ Track N Scale?

Thanks for the advice. 

Mark

Conrail Quality

If you can fit the magnet under the roadbed of the EZ-track, I don't think you should have any problem. The plastic shouldn't block the effects of the magnet.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

rcsailor199

Thanks Tim.

I was wondering if they would be strong enough to do the job.  I guess I may have to give them a shot to find out.  It would be a much better look to do that way that is for sure.  I think I would have plenty of room to do this even if I made a little indentation in the wood base that it will be resting on to fit.

Does anyone use uncoupling magnets on EZ Track or is this something new or has this been hashed out before over the years?  What about any type of magnet that fits on top between the rails that may work?

Thanks and just waying any other options before I bite the bullet. 

Mark

TCWORLD

I use neodynium earth magnets for uncoupling my stock, the sort you can get on eBay for dirt cheap (they are tiny only 5x5x5 mm), but can be mounted up to 3mm below the base of the sleepers and still work, you just have to place a row of 3 perpendicular to the track, and they work perfectly.
These are the magnets http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/64-CUBE-MAGNET-3-16x3-16x3-16-NEODYMIUM-NdFeB-craft_W0QQitemZ140254516997QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140254516997&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318
Tom

-~The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time~-