Main Menu

new bachmann on30 railbus

Started by ossygobbin, July 02, 2008, 02:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossygobbin

new railbus and trailer pics on the on30 yahoo group
the guy bought it in tokyo

Hamish K

The photos from the Yahoo group site have been removed. However this appears to be it http://bkk-railmodel.at.webry.info/200806/article_9.html (scroll down for better photos than the first one)

It is not clear whether this is a Bachmann Industries (USA) product or a product from another Bachmann branch such as Bachmann China.

Anybody identify the prototype? - it looks pretty generic, like the sort of small railbus that ran on narrow gauge lines all over the world.

Any light the Bach Man can shed on this would be welcome. Provided it is obtainable in Australia I will certainly be buying it.

Hamish

dto

I tried to run that Japanese blog through Babelfish, but the resulting Japanese/English translation was so fragmented that I couldn't tell whether this was an actual Bachmann product, an aftermarket conversion kit or a private kitbash.

Looks very nice, though -- seems to be based on the current rail truck, but it's generic enough for those who didn't want something so distinctively "Colorado narrow gauge" as Rio Grande Southern #1. The short body and attached trailer looks vaguely European, though this should fit in perfectly with any US or Far East railway.

therentster

David(UK)

Thee's a further set of pictures at:-
http://bkk-railmodel.at.webry.info/200806/article_10.html
A bitways down, there's a picture of the underside of the model.
Definitely a Bachmann Spectrum offering.
Don't think this is a Bachmann China offering as I believe they only release HO items
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

japasha

It is definately based on the FWD 20 passenger model. However, with Lee taking modeler's license, all prototype FWD units were standard gauge according to Interurbans Without Wires. Nonetheless, will have  a set of those for the Fort Tuna Southern. Look very nice.

Hamish K

The railbus does appear to be a US Bachmann product - at least if the reports that it has been seen lettered for Poncahontas Lumber are correct. Hard to see Bachmann China doing that! The posters on the various group lists indicated that this was an off the shelf item - not a conversion.

Bachmann China did release a  version of the US ON30 streetcar lettered for Shanghai Tramways - so them doing more ON30 is not impossible - but not this time it appears.

Hamish

az2rail

If it was ON30, I would like one. I wish I could read what they were saying about it.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

aussie30inch

Hello every one! What a surprise to see this little gem! Thans to all who have submitted photos and links for this outstanding Model.
On close inspection of the photos it does appear to be Bachmanns!
So Mr Bachmann could you please shed a little light on it for us please.And is it going to be available and if so roughly when could we expext one?
Happy Modelling

Geoff

aussie30inch ;D

David(UK)

Enlarging the underside view shows the lettering on the motor cover to read:
"Spectrum by Bachmann
Made in China"
I was unable to discern what the DCC logo had underneath the DCC bit.
One wonders if this item is being made under licence for another firm due to make an announcement at the Anaahiem show.
Certainly a departure from the Bachmann China norm as I understood they only produced HO scale Chinese equipment.
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

Chris333

It is a Brill prototype. I like the arched windows better:

Nick_Burman

Actually it was built by the Four Wheel Drive Corp.

cheers NB

japasha

Nick is correct, it is the FWD railcar and trasiler.

I once took a 3'6" gauge railcar from someplace in Australia to Alice Springs to see Ayres Rock (since renamed back to aboriginal terms). This little railcar would seem right at home either in the outback or the sand dunes of the Owens Valley. Bachmann has been hitting more home runs lately with product prototype selection. For those desiring 9" radius, this should do the trick.

For those of us wanting something with character zipping along 50 pound rail on uneven ties, even better.

Chris333

What I read was the chassis (frame/motor) was built by FWD and the body was built by Brill.

So 98% of what you see is Brill.