News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams F7 reverse board

Started by gondola, July 03, 2008, 10:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gondola

I have a williams f7 with a burned out reverse board.It seems the only boards you have in stock are the "plug in type." Can I just remove the reverse board,and hook up the 2 motors,and run the engine off a DC power pack.I was hoping I could change the polarity as we do with the HO trains that run on 2 rail. Thank you Gondola

the Bach-man

Dear Gondola,
I'll have to ask next Monday.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

3rail

You could do one of three things.

1. You can use the plug in boards if you want.  They come with plugs with the wires attached.

2.  You could get a 6 amp bridge rectifer and run in one direction only.

3. The DC power pack will work if it has enough AMPS.  A typical 2 motor diesel draws about 2 to 2.5 amps.

Regards

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

As a Williams owner, I want 3rail on my side.

Dear 3rail,

Well done, sir.  I assume that you have seen the insides of these locos more than once.   

Dear Gondola,

It's your locomotive, but unless you are changing your entire system and fleet over to a digital control system (MTH or Lionel e.g.), I would get it back to "stock" as fast as I could. 

Updating (to connectors and the plug in board) is as close to stock as you are going to get.  Actually, it's an improvement over stock if installed correctly. 

I suggest using shrink tubing to insulate any "wire to wire" solder joints you make.

Just to be cautious, I would measure the resistance of each (unplugged) truck/motor (using an Ohm-meter) before I put power to the engine.  Too low resistance would indicate some kind of short, which would need to be repaired (or the truck motor replaced) so as not to fry another reversing board.

I would also clean and lube the trucks/motors while you have your loco apart.

Hope this helps.   

Dear 3rail,

Is there a range of resistance (Ohms) for the trucks/motors?

Is there a Clean and Lube proceedure for the trucks/motors?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

3rail

Hi Joe,

I have never been asked that question before, but here are the readings off of my Fluke 73 meter.

Testing directly to the motor leads gives a reading of 27 ohms.

Testing a completely wired dual motor locomotive (with reverse board and True Blast II board installed) with the leads hooked to roller pick-up and ground gives a reading of 6.7ohms .

I hope that helps,

Regards

Joe Satnik

Dear 3rail,

Thanks.  Great info for those installing a new reversing board on their own.

By your answer, ("never been asked that question before") I must assume that there are very few, if any, shorted trucks/motors that cause the reversing boards to fail....

The repair proceedure must be:

1) Solder in connectors if necessary (older versions). 
2) Install new plug in reversing board. 
3) Check reverse board functions (forward/neutral/reverse/neutral) and sound board functions (whistle or horn/bell) on the test track, while watching for normal current draws.   
4) Send it back to the customer.

By the way, my family's Chessie System GP-38 runs unbelievably smooth and quiet. 

Can you contact me off board, please?  joebarb "at" wwt "dot" net

Thanks again. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

3rail

Hi Joe,

You've got mail!

Regards

Joe Satnik