News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Outside frame 4-4-0?!

Started by ksivils, July 06, 2008, 09:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksivils

I hope this is not someone idea of an April's Fool joke delayed until July.  Below is the link to a hobby shop in Japan that is advertising this beautiful model of a "Bachmann" OF 4-4-0! 

Wonderful locomotive!  Once again, if true, it would appear that the Bach Man has hit yet another home run!

A prototype for this little beauty, or at least a similar prototype, was exported to Brazil by Baldwin and is preserved today on the 30 inch line in San Paolo.

http://www.45mm.jp/page174.html

ksivils

Here is the link for the prototype.

My apologies, but the locomotive is not located in San Paolo, Brazil, but rather, Sao Joao del Rei.

http://www.steam.demon.co.uk/trains/pics02/sjdr03.jpg

Bob Peterson

So nice that the truth is being allowed to come out.  Two of u, at least, tried to post to this topic yesterday, and were immediately removed.  It is a really nice looking engine.
Should be a great seller.
   Bob Peterson

japasha

The model is of VFCO #22 which is the locomotive being displayed.  For a 4-4-0 of 30 inch gauge. It makes the Mt. Gretna look puny. This is a Baldwin-built loco that was modified by the Brazilians  over the years.

A good reference for small Brazilian locos is the book "Plus & Minus Two Footers by Carlheinz Hahmann and Charles Small. Pictures in service are on page 92.

C.S.R.R. Manager

Check the Products link to the left, then On30 / Steam Locos / Page 4.  And Page 5.  Is it just me, or is the anticipation starting early this year?

Maybe delivery will be early too?

M

Nick_Burman

The loco is a model of OdeM/RMV/VFCO/RFFSA #21 and #22, more specifically of #22 as she looks today. The only fly in the ointment is that if Bachmann used the NG&SLG drawings for the engine there there will be a few detail discrepancies between the prototype and the model - not bothersome especially if one is modelling freelance. Unless Bachmann did the right thing and sent someone to measure the real #22...

Again, this is no engine to hitch on the head-end of a "Shavano" on Marshall Pass, although the prototype could happily keep a 6-to-8 car mixed train on the roll at 25-30mph on the flattest portions of the OdeM main line. Sizewise, she won't be much bigger than the IF engine - the MtG loco is only about 36" shorter (engine only) and about the same height and width as OdeM #1 (which is preserved at the museum at Sao Joao d'El Rey).

There is a possibility that a pro modelmaker in Rio might be releasing kits and build up models of OdeM passenger and freight equipment in On30. These would make a great match for the 4-4-0...

Cheers NB
Sao Paulo, Brazil

japasha

Nick,

Keep us posted on those cars. They were monitor roof cars as I recall. Some of the freight cars might be nice as well.

Give us a site or post some pictures.

amatore

Has anyone thought about putting a sound chip in one of these beauties?

FrankS

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me which NG&SLG the VFCO 4-4-0 drawings were in, please.
Also, have there been drawings if the INSIDE framed (Mt Gretna, is it ?) in the NG&SLG.
Would like to compare the two locos.
Thanx,
Frank Savery
in Chilly Tasmania

hminky

Quote from: amatore on July 09, 2008, 10:27:34 PM
Has anyone thought about putting a sound chip in one of these beauties?

It looks like the same tender as the IF

ebtnut

Not sure about the VFCO plans, but the Mt. Gretna loco plans are in the original Model Railroader Cyclopeida, Vol. 1 - Steam Locomotives.

az2rail

Had I bothered to look a little, I would have found this thread, and would not have started another.

Orginally, I was not to keen on this type of engine, but when I saw a picture of this version, I changed my mind. I will buy one of these, maybe two.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

trainmanchris

man i'm angre now >:(, i don't even do On30 but i want to get a On30 4-4-0 and it looks fine to me........GET OVER IT ;D

FrankS

This message is directed to Nick Burman in Sao Paulo, Brazil and I apologise foir using the list to contact him.
Hi Nick,
I'm very interested in the possibilities of modelling the whole OdeM/VFFCO line not just the Bachmann OF 4-4-0. From the photos I've been able to find it looks to have been a fascinating line. I wonder If you know of any publications on the line, books or magazine articles?

Perhaps you could reply off list to avoid abusing the Bachmann's priviliges.
Thanx, Frank Savery in Tasmania, Australia
e-mail : franksavery@bigpond.com