News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EMD E-Units

Started by Conrail Quality, July 10, 2008, 12:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conrail Quality

Does anyone know if the E6, E7, E8, and E9 are all the same length? I've searched the internet, and everything I've found seems to imply that they are; however, I've seen nothing that actually states that, which makes me unsure.

Thanks,
Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Atlantic Central

Timothy,

I did some checking of drawings I have and the E7 and E8/9 have the same truck spacing, wheel base and overall dimensions. I could not find an E6 drawing, but do believe them to be the same.

The one difference may be in the front, the long sloping nose of the E6 may effect is overall length when compaired to the others but truck spacing and other mechanical demensions should be the same.

Slight overall length variations will be found between units with smooth passenger pilots and the stubby F unit style pilot. EMD allowed the railroads to choose either style from the E7 on.

Sheldon

Conrail Quality

Okay, thanks Sheldon.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

GlennW

If my LL E6 & E7's are accurate, both have the same overall length. The slope of the E6 yields a slightly shorter cab set further back on the carbody.  E6 is a pre-war 1939 design & the E7 is a post-war 1945-6 design. The E7 adds a vertical set of louvers  just behind the cab windows. AFAIK LL made the only E6 while there are other makers of E7's.