News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K-27 smoke and marker lights

Started by Howard, July 10, 2008, 01:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard

I have changed the counterweights on my new K-27 and installed a Sierra Sound unit.  Engine runs great.  But two problems frustrate me.  Can anyone advise me of a simple way to improve the smoke output for the engine.  My LGB moguls seem to put out a whole lot more.  Also, how can I easily remidy those orange marker lights.

Thanks.

Howard

Nataraj

You can always turn the marker lights off... switch is in the smokebox

As for smoke, if you are using a on board batter or DCC there will be full power to it at all times so it will always be at max output. If using plain old DC power... Maybe wiring it up to a battery?

trea916

ARISTO SMOKE UNIT    IT S BAD ASS WORKS GREAT FITS PERFECT AND HAS A FAN

I LOVE IT

Kevin Strong

Also, try reversing the wires going to the cooling fan over the motor. I read reports that it draws air through the smokebox, which would seem to limit the amount of smoke that would actually make it out of the stack. Reversing those leads pushed air out the stack, hence increasing the smoke. I wish I could find where I read that. If anyone else can remember, please add the link.

Personally, I don't know why there's a cooling fan over the motor anyway. The Pittman motor in this thing is VERY robust. Barry Olsen (of Barry's Big Trains fame) has been using Pittman motors in his replacement frames for years. Never heard of one overheating. Heck, it's rare enough to hear of the much cheaper Mabuchi motors that are in many other large scale products overheating. I'd just unplug the fan and not worry about it.

As for modifying the classification lamps, here's a link to Dave Goodson's article posted on the Garden Railways website in conjunction with his review of the loco.

http://www.trains.com/grw/default.aspx?c=a&id=870

Later,

K

Greg Elmassian

I burned up a Pittman in my AML K4, the motors do get hot, and have no cooling openings. The fan is needed believe it or not, under heavy loads. TOC was able to draw a lot of current under certain circumstances.

Reversing the fan has been proven to help the smoke output.

I would suggest an Aristo unit, or better yet, a TAS unit (Train America Studio)... and if you are really nuts for huge volumes, then go to an MTH.

Regards, Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Tony Walsham

Bob Grosh first proposed reversing the fan to improve smoke flow.
Simply reversing the wires will not work.
The fan needs to be removed and turned over.
That will also necessitate replacing two of the mounting screws with shorter screws.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Doug.Oaks

How do you get a MTH smoke unit? Do they sell it direct? Is there a model number?
Thanks,

Doug

Greg Elmassian

They sell them direct as parts. There are a couple of models, I think the Hudson one is the one you want, not the challenger.

Regards, Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com