News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Length of Bachmanns Mountain

Started by Jacon, July 02, 2008, 08:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacon

Sorry for the double post, I originally put this in the General forum and since it's a question about an HO scale, I'll put it here.  Anyone know the length of the Spectrum Mountain locomotive and tender?  Will it fit and turn on a 90 foot turntable?
Thanks for measuring!   :)
Jacon

Hunt

Per my technical notes, the Bachmann Spectrum USRA Heavy Mountain 4-8-2 on a 90' turntable will overhang by just over an inch.

Jacon

artkent

Just measured both the Heavy and the Light.
Measured from coupler pulling face to coupler pulling face.
Heavy Mountain, Bachmann 82504 measures 12 13/16 with drawbar in "short" position.  93' in HO.
Same with drawbar in "long" position measures 12 15/16.  93' 11" in HO.
Light Mountain, Bachmann 81602 measures 12 1/8 with drawbar in "short" position.  88' in HO.
Same with drawbar in "long" position measures 12 1/4.  88' 11" in HO.

Art

SteamGene

Art, Understand that with the heavy, Bachmann has three different tenders, one of which is much longer than the as delivered tender.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

artkent

SteamGene.  Yes, the 82502 has an oil tender which appears to be a little longer than the USRA Long Tender and the 82503 has the longest tender.  The 82501, 82504, 82505, and 82506 all have the USRA Long Tender.  I've only got the 82504 so can only measure that.
Art

SteamGene

Artkent,
As a general rule, it makes things clearer if the road name is posted, rather than the catalog number.  For instancee, with the USRA heavy Mountain, I know that the Spectrum SP and C&O versions both have railroad supplied tenders (Hickens and Vanderbilt) and the others are all the incorrect long USRA tender. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

nyoun

You could do what the prototypes did:
1.) The actual wheelbase is the critical issue.  Engines were often placed on the turntable VERY carefully, overhanging on both ends. Or. . .
2.) You could replace the tender with a much shorter one, such as the USRA 10'000 gal that comes on the Light Mountain to replace the 12.000 gal tender that comes on some heavy mountains.  Usuall, historically, as the railroads mixed and matched tenders they went to larger ones for greater distance between water stops.  However many railroads couldn't afford to replace turntables after about 1929 so kept shorter tenders through to the end of steam, even with larger more modern 4-8-4's.  Spectrum tenders are available seprately.