Will sound work right out of box?

Started by prvtpilot99, July 10, 2008, 03:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prvtpilot99

Hello All
I have the bachmann e-z command controller and i'm looking at a braodway limited blueline locomotive
with sound.My question is do i need a decoder? And if so which one. Sorry about this newbie question but i could not find the answer on here. Any help would greatly appreciated.

SteamGene

First item is - what locomotive?
The Blue Line, as I understand it, is designed to work on DC with the capability of having a decoder installed at the discretion of the owner.  That decoder would be for the motor/lights only.  
If you are interested in a steam locomotive, you may have to sychronize the exhaust chuff with the motion of the rods.  
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

prvtpilot99

I dont know the model but it is a diesel engine.States that it has sound built in but do i need something special to make the sounds work using my ez command control?

jayl1

All my Broadway Limited engines - steam & diesel sounded off out of the box - volume may need to be adjusted though.  I only run DC though.

prvtpilot99

Jay did you have to have a decoder to get it to work? i havent bought it yet because i dont know enough about it.i have a ez command controller. i read a little about the blueline series and they mention your favorite decoder.

grumpy

I am using EZ  Command on my layout . I have a Broadway Class J 4-8-4  with DCC and sound that runs well with my EZ Command as it came from the box . Nothing else was required. A very good looking loco with good sound
Don

jayl1

Quote from: prvtpilot99 on July 10, 2008, 04:41:12 PM
Jay did you have to have a decoder to get it to work? i havent bought it yet because i dont know enough about it.i have a ez command controller. i read a little about the blueline series and they mention your favorite decoder.

Blueline engines do NOT have a decoder.  You do NOT need one for the sound to work.  "Your favorite decoder" just implies that you supply the one you want.  By adding a decoder you may have more sounds/features.  I'm too old/lazy/old fashioned to add decoders to all my engines (over 100 in all- many older ones).    So far I have a T-1, Alco demo, SD40-2, and an SD9 that are DC/sound.  They run/sound fine.   I can't answer about  the Bachmann EZ controller.  Sorry.

prvtpilot99

Hey All
thanks for all the great info and quick responses

tom