News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Snowplow for 4-6-0?

Started by FordcvP71, June 26, 2008, 02:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FordcvP71

Nevermind the Frankenstein Annie/Big Hauler its mounted to where did this plow come from? It just snaps onto the pilot. I got it off ebay from a guy who said it was from/for the Bachmann 4-6-0's and a few people have been asking me where they can get one  ???

Jim Banner

Is it possible that this is a scratch built unit?  Some of the joints look a little bit rough for an injection molded piece.  Or could it be a polyester casing of a scratch built unit?  This would imply limited production and could explain why you cannot find another one.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Mike

I don't know about the manufacturer of it; but if I had it in hand, it appears to be a relatively easy pattern for a mold. Once the mold is made, a resin one could be made every 5 minutes or so.

FordcvP71

Sorry the picture isnt the best it was taken with my cellphone on my front porch while it stopped raining and cleared up a little plus the plow has a couple layers of paint on it :D

If I had to guess I would say its made of resin from a mold, the coupler mount is actually part of the plow, I just cut a straight kadee coupler in half and left about 1/2 of the bar out the back and glued it into the mount, perfect fit and its at the right level to actually be functional but because its glued in and cant swing left or right any I cant make any use of it with my R3 curves still looks better with a coupler than without

Here is a picture of it on another one of my Big Haulers prior to the coat of paint it has on it the picture above and also prior to gluing in the coupler  :)

Loco Bill Canelos

If you ever find the source of this snowplow please let me know!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Mike

Ford and/or Loco Bill- Seriously, I have been doing a bunch of silicon mold making and resin or tin bismuth casting. If I could get either a good set of multi-directional views with critical dimensions or a sample in my hand, I believe I could make a silicon mold that could produce these for any interested parties. For that matter, if someone could "bash" one that would work, I'd be willing to try the mold making. For what it's worth, making a mold of an item does not damage the original in the slightest. The only restriction I would add is that any entended surfaces thinner than about 1/16 inch can be a bit hard to fill. Otherwise, fine detail items such a rivets and bolt heads replicate extremely well. Let me know if you want me to give it a try. - Mike