News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Cleaning

Started by lilwaffleboy, July 12, 2008, 03:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilwaffleboy

Hi. I am wondering if I could use lysol disinfecting wipes as a track cleaner for the Bachmann e-z track system. However, would it have a chemical reaction and possibly wreck the tracks?

Santa Fe buff

Try an eraser, or a dry cloth. I also think that you should either buy a track cleaner if your going to be doing it a lot. Or buy a track cleaning car. I'm not sure if it's okay to use lysol.
- Joshua Bauer

pdlethbridge

I personally use a 3" belt sander, but I replace a lot of track! :o

SteamGene

Try denatured or rubbing alchohol - 90% if you can find it.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Woody Elmore

Which type of EZ track do you have? My old standby for brass or nickel silver rail was to use an ink eraser (gray kind; not the bubble gum pink kind.) These are available at Staples.

As for the steel track (black roadbed), I have never dealt with it so I leave that to others but I'm sure you could clean it with very, very fine sand paper.

I don't think Lysol should be used on either kind.

And to second what has already been posted, a little 90% rubbing alcohol on a Q tip should also do a good job.

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: SteamGene on July 12, 2008, 08:37:49 PM
Try denatured or rubbing alchohol - 90% if you can find it.
Gene
Most regular rubbing alcohol you find at stores is 90%, but do check, some areas, it isn't as easy as other locations.
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

In eastern Virginia, 90% is hard to find.  Well, the denatured variety.  Plenty of places still to find the 90% undenatured variety.  :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

az2rail

I don't know why you could'nt use it if that's what you want to use.

Being that bleach is still it's main ingrediant, I would worry more about discoloring the plastic base, more than pitting the track. But it is used to clean phones.

That said, I would still go with the others on using an eraser and alcohol.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Woody Elmore on July 12, 2008, 09:14:12 PM
Which type of EZ track do you have? My old standby for brass or nickel silver rail was to use an ink eraser (gray kind; not the bubble gum pink kind.) These are available at Staples.

As for the steel track (black roadbed), I have never dealt with it so I leave that to others but I'm sure you could clean it with very, very fine sand paper.

I don't think Lysol should be used on either kind.

And to second what has already been posted, a little 90% rubbing alcohol on a Q tip should also do a good job.
Adding to that, the gray kind or preferred kind is called an art eraser, you should be able to find it at any local craft store or even hobby store. Art and model trains go hand in hand, just like any modeling.
- Joshua Bauer

glennk28

I think that the Lysol would only be useful in Z scale, where bacteria on the track might be a problem   8^)   but the others are right--there might be unwanted chemical reactions--gj

pdlethbridge

What?? No one using the 3" belt sander method? It works great and is very quick

grumpy

There is a product that machinists and some electrical repair shops use , called crocus cloth.It is available at auto parts supply shops. It is great for polishing brass track. Another excellent item is contact cleaner or brake cleaner. I don, know if it is available in your areas but my favourite is methanol usually available at paint stores.
Don :)

Jhanecker2

Try using iso-prophyl alchohol it comes in  70% & also 91% . It is readily available in drugstores.  Crocus cloth is extremely fine graded abrasive cloth normally used for polishing metal . The dust should be vaccuumed up to remove it from the area as it is abrasive.

grumpy

I don't like the smell of iso-prophyl alcohol it reminds me of doctors offices and it doesn't make me feel any better.
Don :D

SteamGene

Try putting a few slivers of charred hickory and two drops of vanilla extract into the bottle, cap it, and let it sit for three weeks before using it.  Then it might remind you of Clancey's Bar instead.   ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat