Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Cleaning

Started by lilwaffleboy, July 12, 2008, 03:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

Sand blasting! now thats the trick!

Jhanecker2

I certainly hope that "sand blasting " is a facietious answer . Strangely enough I do have sand blasting equipment in the shop in two different sizes, but I seriously doubt that in would be worth the mess that would result.  Finding an oppropriately sized media would be a chore, not to men-
tion the the environmental hazard of airborne dust.  The only safe method would be to do the job in a booth , which would entail disassemblly of tracks.
Even worse I don't think anyone actually manufactures equipment small enough to do the job, nor are most people actually skilled enough to do the work properly without magnification and micro manipulaters. I did some peach pit blasting on molded plastic contact insulations when I worked at Pyle National to remove flash before inspecting & measuring Parts and its loud & messy.

termite

Actually Badger makes a airbrush sized sandblaster. Micro-Mark sells the kit p/n# 60287

Jhanecker2

I stand corrected. I found the equipment in the Micro-Mark Catalog : Fall 2007  this morning when looking for something else . They even have media for use in the device and it functions off canned air cylinders or air compressors  able to generate  30psi . I still think it would not be the optimum method for track cleaning.

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: pdlethbridge on July 15, 2008, 04:39:35 PM
Sand blasting! now that's the trick!
Not for me, mine's indoors upstairs!
- Joshua Bauer

pdlethbridge

When your done, get out the old trusty gas powered leave blower to get rid of all the excess sand.

grumpy

Use the other end with end with the vacuum but first fasten the track down with lag bolts so that it doesn't get sucked into the blower and wreck the blades.
Don

pdlethbridge