New 2 8 0 with dcc onboard????????????????????PLEASE

Started by rodburner, March 04, 2007, 09:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodburner

???Could someone PLEASE tell me what do I need to do to run this new Bachmann 2 8 0 with dcc onboard on a dc layout? Do I just remove the decoader, and  put in the dummy plugs that came with it.....them plug in both sets of wires from the engine to the tender?????????

Thanks rod.

lanny

Hi Rod,

I also only run DC/analog. My understanding, gleaned from the experts that answered a 'similar' question I asked recently on this forum is as follows:

(1) If the 2-8-0 DCC ready is the ONLY locomotive you will be running on your layout, you can run it as is. It will require more power from your DC power pak, but it will run fine.

(2) If you want to 'double-head' the DCC ready 2-8-0 with another DC locomotive, it would be best to do something with some plugs ... but wait until one of the DCC experts answers your question about that.

Summary ... if you are going to run it alone, just careful plug in the plugs from the locomotive to the tender, and off you go. Have fun!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Jim Banner

Actually, it is locomotives without decoders that you have to worry about running on DCC equipped layouts - do not let them sit "idling."

The decoder in you DCC on board 2-8-0 is designed to automatically convert to dc operation when you place it on a dc layout.  You should not have to do anything.  The only exception I can think of would be a locomotive purchased used where the previous owner had turned off the automatic dc conversion.

So, plug in the plugs, put it on your tracks, and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rodburner