Good points - bad points at Service

Started by SteamGene, July 15, 2008, 07:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Last week I called Bachmann service to try to get a nut to fit the bolt holding a tender truck.  The nut managed to get lost while I removed the curcuit board.  The first thing I got was "we don't have any spare parts like that."  I suggested that perhaps they could cannabalize one ofx the returns and was told that most people return only the locomotive and not the tender.  (I find that hard to believe.)  Then I got an "Oh, wait,"  and then "One of the service men is taking apart a tender now.  We'll send you one."  What I received on Monday was a glassine envelope with three nuts and three front tender screws to hold shell and floor together.
I'm glad that service could help me out.  I'm totally shocked that PARTS has so few parts.  The small, easily lost pieces should be stocked and available.  I've been told that my partner in crime also dropped the same nut, but managed to find his before shipment.  These small screws, bolts, and nuts are NOT available at Lowe's or Home Depot.   :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Santa Fe buff

Yes Gene,
Go old Bachmann! They probably stock all the broken of some put aside set's to do that, pretty nice to take apart a tender for you. Just another way we go Bachmann.  :)
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

Actually, I don't think they took apart a tender.  I received three screws and three nuts.   A tender has one screw and two nuts. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: SteamGene on July 15, 2008, 12:29:05 PM
Actually, I don't think they took apart a tender.  I received three screws and three nuts.   A tender has one screw and two nuts. 
Gene
Well they still got some good service!
- Joshua Bauer

Atlantic Central

My offer still stands to take the junkers and run a parts department - but I am not holding my breath waiting for Lee to call.

Sheldon

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Atlantic Central on July 15, 2008, 03:59:12 PM
My offer still stands to take the junkers and run a parts department - but I am not holding my breath waiting for Lee to call.

Sheldon
One way to go green! Reusing is one of the 3 Rs!
- Joshua Bauer

ray46

How close are you to some kind of hobby shop, whether it be model railroad or radio controlled planes or cars.  They will all stock small parts like nuts and bolts, screws, wire, etc.
"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy."  The Eagles

SteamGene

Once upon a time 1.5 miles.  Now, more than 20 and not sure of the quality of any in that radius.
That's not the point.  Bachmann has a parts diagram, a parts department, a parts phone number.  They should have parts.
In case you haven't noticed, some parts - like bolts in particular, are unique.  
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

hobo1

STEAM GENE - MAYBE YOU SHOULD APPLY FOR A JOB WITH THEM. YOU SEEM TO THINK YOU KNOW IT ALL ABOUT MODEL TRAINS. BACHMANN COULD USE YOUR KINDA HELP. ALSO GENE, MAYBE THEY'LL TEACH YOU HOW TO CANNIBALIZE PARTS TOO

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: hobo1 on July 20, 2008, 04:46:05 PM
STEAM GENE - MAYBE YOU SHOULD APPLY FOR A JOB WITH THEM. YOU SEEM TO THINK YOU KNOW IT ALL ABOUT MODEL TRAINS. BACHMANN COULD USE YOUR KINDA HELP. ALSO GENE, MAYBE THEY'LL TEACH YOU HOW TO CANNIBALIZE PARTS TOO
IS Bachmann hiring, and all the other job questions... payment... your possible old job.... and the distance to travel, oh, and hours.
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

Hobo,
Your comments are so noted. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

Small metric nuts are only as far away as your local Ace or TruValue hardware store.  Easiest way is just to take the bolt to the store and find a nut that fits.

This site has many printable .pdf files with handy gauges for US and Metric threads, and some informative tutorials. They have a plastic metric thread gauge for $1.50, very handy tool.

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Printable-Tools/Default.aspx

Metric nut size table:
http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Nuts-Washers/Metric-Nut-Size.aspx

All modelers need a basic knowledge of metric fastener notations and an assortment of the smaller sizes.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

rogertra

Quote from: hobo1 on July 20, 2008, 04:46:05 PM

Gene is very helpful to people on the list, so your rude comments are completely uncalled for.

He also knows how to type without SHOUTING.

Do you?

He also knows not to end a sentence with a preposition, especially one that's misspelt.

Do you?

SteamGene

Thanks Roger.  I rather thought that Hobo really should call himself "Bindlestiff." 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Tim

Yampa Bob

Thanks for the links, they will be very usefull.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA