News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Product Selection - New 4-4-0

Started by japasha, July 15, 2008, 12:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

japasha

In the world of real business, selection of the product to build is difficult. The new 4-4-0 seems like the wrong thing to some people but  it is a very viable product for two reasons: The prototype is a real 30 inch gauge locomotive and the intended layout has sharp curves and most likely is small. I'll bet that Harold  Minky has plans for it already. I know I'll have a pair.

I have stated before that while a K-37 is a nice narrow gauge beast, our smaller layouts cannot operate it.  Our British counterparts know that the small narrow gauge lines in the UK had some interesting and unique locomotives built for them and the rolling stock was much smaller to operate on these lines. I am getting ready to re-do my layout with broader curves to add On3 to the layout.  I will be using 44" radius for the On3, 36 for the On30. The decision was based on operational problems using 24" radius on the present layout. I will also hand lay the track to use "6 and #8 switches.

The Baldwin prototype is a natural. The North American market was dominated by Baldwin and ALCO with the Central and South American market shared by European and those US manufacturers, not to mention the African narrow gauges. This leads us to the possibilty that maybe Lee will surprise us with  a nice Garrett based on the South African 2 foot units now in use on the Welsh Highland Railway.

On the other hand, it isn't too much of a stretch to place the new 4-4-0 in a setting based on a Maine or Southern prototype. I think it will look good hauling across the California coast range with a string of varnish. Sure, they never had one but look at the opportunity to do something unique.

Look at the possibilities before complaining

ossygobbin

regarding size of the new O/F 4-4-0 see my post in the 'what the hell 'post

japasha

If you have an old copy of the Baldwin product catalog, they plainly state that the 4-4-0 is a longer locomotive than a 2-6-0. The issue is driver wheelbase which is shorter. The front truck allows a wider swing for short radius curves unless the 2-6-0 or 2-8-0 have blind center drivers.

While it may look larger, it is still a small locomotive when compared to the meter gauge 2-10-10-2s made by ALCO for the Brazilians. I'd like to see Dustin get that around his table top. Some of those goods wagons would be nice as well.

Years ago I built a Baldwin 2-6-0 On3 model of a locomoptive I saw rusting in the jungle. Very funky, about the size of a C-16. 

The plans you compared to are reproduced a little larger than scale, BTW.